A Documentary series that you must watch right now
Politics

'She's Running' Is The Docu-series You Have To Watch

Review of Episode One "Not All Female Candidates Are Running Because of Trump" and Episode Two "Be Likable."

182
https://twitter.com/broadly/status/1057686915850362880
Broady at VICE

This docu-series by VICE NEWS focuses on four women across America running for office in their state. Two women of each party are the focus.

Pearl Kim is a Republican candidate. She is a former special victims prosecutor and sexual assault survivor and is running for a U.S. House seat. The seat is free after a #MeToo scandal.

(R) Pearl Kim

Morgan Zegers is a Republican candidate. She is 21 years old and wants to join the New York State Assembly. Zegers will be the youngest member.

(R) Morgan Zegers

Deidre DeJear is a Democratic candidate. DeJear would become the first African-American elected to statewide office in Iowa if she wins the race for secretary of state.

(D) Deidre DeJear

The last subject is Orlando's very own Anna Eskamani. I previously wrote about Eskamani. Anna Eskamani is a Democratic candidate. She is a former Planned Parenthood employee and wants to become the first Iranian-American in the Florida State House.

(D) Anna Eskamani

Episode one is titled "Not All Female Candidates Are Running Because of Trump."

In this episode, the audience dives into what made these women run for office. More women in the last year are running, but is it all for Trump? This episode shines a light on these four women on their experience campaigning, canvassing, and rallying. We see how these women work on their campaigns, why they decided to run, and what they stand for. Even though some of these women find the Trump administration messed up, despite party, they want to tell the audience that's not exactly why they're running for office. The amount of women and especially women of color needs to grow in office. These four women want to do that. They do not want the focus of their campaign to be Trump, whether it's in a positive or negative connotation.

Episode twois titled "Be Likable."

This episode shines a lot on how women are judged so much in politics. The candidates read comments they have received about stuff people believe they should change, unfortunately, it's mostly racism and sexism type comments. Anna Eskamani reads a comment about "doing something about her hair, bangs are in your face." Pearl Kim said a man was speaking to her and said: "Oh, you're the Asian women running." These are comments many women face daily. "Smile more." "You should wear more makeup." "Those clothes look too comfy, not flattering enough." Then the women go into how men treat them. Morgan Zegers said a man dm'ed her offering to help her with her campaign and then after he added, "and you don't have a boyfriend right?" These women show in this episode what it is like to present yourself as a candidate through the lens of gender and race. They fight double standards and try to remain calm in uncomfortable situations to fight the system.

VICE NEWS is still releasing episodes for this docuseries. "She's Running" is an incredible docuseries so far that I am ecstatic to continue.

No matter what party or values, women have to stick together and support one another.