Shelby Dotson: UT Martin Homecoming Queen Nominee

"I knew UT Martin was the perfect place for me."

52

Shelby Dotson was nominated by her sorority sisters to represent Alpha Omicron Pi as their Homecoming representative. Shelby is from Rutherford, Tenn. and is the daughter of late Mark Dotson and Tammy Dotson, and sister of Jacob Dotson. "I always wanted a sister, and God blessed me with over 100 sisters when I found Alpha Omicron Pi," she stated.

Shelby started attending the University of Tennessee at Martin in 2013. She is majoring in Senior Elementary Education here at UT Martin. While attending UT Martin Shelby has joined not only AOII, but has also joined STEA. "I love getting involved on campus with Greek events with AOII such as stepping and all sing!" she said, "AOII has given me the sisterhood I've always been looking for."

During her sophomore and junior year of college, Shelby was a PEP leader and helped mentor new college students. She is actively a supporter and fundraiser for the Relay for Life Foundation. During her college years she has received the Emerging Leader Award at the Greek Award Ceremony, and in 2015 Shelby was crowned Miss UT Martin.

After receiving her title as Miss UT Martin Shelby competed in the Miss Tennessee Pageant and received a non-finalist award and the bronze Duke of Edinburgh Medal. "It was always a dream of mine to represent UT Martin at the Miss Tennessee Pageant, and now I hope to have the opportunity not only to represent AOII, but also UT Martin during the best and biggest week of the semester!" she claimed.

If you didn't think that was enough, while attending UT Martin as a full-time student, being an active member of a sorority and an active member of STEA, Shelby works part-time at the Discovery Park of America and part-time at Ridgemont Elementary School after school program, both located in Union City, Tenn.

Shelby plans to graduate in December of 2017, "I plan to student teach in the fall of 2017 and then graduate that December," she stated. "I never even contemplated going anywhere else for college. I knew UT Martin was the perfect place for me. I will make a great candidate because I take pride in my school. It's a great day to be a Skyhawk!"

Homecoming Queen Elections will be held here at UT Martin on Wednesday, October 5th, 2016. The top five voters will be announced as the 2016 Homecoming Court. At the Pyramid contest on Friday night the Homecoming Court will be introduced at 7 p.m. During halftime of the homecoming football game on Saturday the 2016 Homecoming Queen will be crowned.