Sharks In Danger!

Sharks In Danger!

3 Species That Are On Their Way Towards Extinction

18
Sharks In Danger!
Free Images

All over the world, a threat is growing in the marine ecosystem. The threat being that shark populations are dwindling. Why? Mainly because of the growing popularity of shark fin soup. In case you don't know what that is, it's a chicken broth based soup that incorporates shark fins for decoration and texture, not flavor. Shark fin soup has been around since the Ming Dynasty and has only grown in popularity since then. There is no specific type of shark that is preferred (again, since the fins aren't used for taste) so all shark species are fair game to be killed for this Asian delicacy.

Below, I've complied a list of three shark species (and facts about them) that are close to extinction from finning in order to raise awareness for this growing problem.

1. Great Hammerhead Shark (High Risk of Extinction)

This is a shark that everyone recognizes. Even if you haven't been to an aquarium and seen one of these guys in person, you've likely seen them in science textbooks or on TV.

There are nine different types of hammerheads but the one I'm focusing on is the Great Hammerhead. The largest of the different types, these predators can grow up to 20 ft. in length (which is roughly the size of a larger female Great White) and can weigh up to 1,000 lbs. These guys either swim in schools or by themselves and as all hammerheads do, they turn their heads side-to-side in order to scan the ocean floor for their favorite snack: stingrays! Like every other shark species, their job is to help keep other marine life in check by controlling their numbers and ensuring they move around to help colonize the ocean!

It's a shame though that they're being sliced up alive in order for their fins to end up in soup.

2. Dusky Shark (High Risk of Extinction)

Dusky Sharks dwell in warm, tropical waters and swim in schools. These sharks grow to be 6 ft. in length (the average height for a man) and live for an incredibly long time. Up to 50 years to be exact.

However, they take an extremely long time to grow and reproduce. Dusky Sharks aren't sexually mature until the age of 20 and females carry their pups (6-12 per litter) for 22 months and only give birth once every couple of years. For this reason, over-fishing and finning pose a real threat to this particular species. It is estimated that roughly 750,000 Dusky sharks are caught in fishing nets and die every year from fishermen who cut off their fins.

3. Big-eye Thresher Shark (High Risk of Extinction)

This little guy is one of the species of Thresher sharks. The Big-eye Thresher grows to be 9-15 ft. in length (half of the length comes from their tail which is nearly as long as their body) and they inhabit both tropical and temperate waters. Female Big-eyes become sexually mature around 9 ft. and have 2-4 pups per litter.

I wanted to write this article because the over-fishing and the live finning of all sharks (not just the ones I mentioned) needs to stop. We need to have stricter fishing laws so that all sharks will have the chance to grow and reproduce. Even though they have a big stigma on them, our oceans need sharks in order to stay alive and healthy. If that isn't enough reason for you to support the protection of sharks, maybe you could support them just for the fact that finning them is simply inhumane.

Imagine if a group of people held you down on a boat, cut off all your limbs and then threw you into the ocean to drown slowly because you have nothing to keep you afloat or take you back to the surface for the oxygen you need. In essence, that's what a shark goes through when they are fished and finned and yes, they are alive the majority of the time when this happens.

#ProtectTheSharks