Learning To Share The Gospel As An Introvert And Perfectionist

I am scared, but I am ready.
265

I am an introvert... particularly a social introvert. I don't like talking to strangers or in big crowds. I'm afraid I won't say the right thing or that people won't get my humor. I don't want to offend people.

I go out of my way to avoid social situations. If I do find myself in one, I make sure not to say anything too opinionated or better yet, anything at all.

And because of this, I never share the gospel... with strangers, with acquaintances, with friends, or with family. In today's world, the proportion of believers goes down as the taboo around religion as a whole goes up. Put those together, and I find myself backing closer into my comfort zone of holding my tongue.

May I add that I am a perfectionist, too? Whenever I overcome the introvert that I am, my perfectionist self-worries about what to say. How do I correctly convey who Jesus Christ is to someone who may not want to hear about it in the first place? How do I combat counter-arguments without getting nervous and looking like I don't know what I am talking about?

Because of these things, I have let my voice be silenced. But now, I am ready to overcome these internal obstacles and proclaim Jesus's name.

But how do I, and others like me, realistically overcome the introversion and perfectionism?

Firstly, recognize that we are simply a vessel and mouthpiece for God. He is working in us and through us to get His name and His message to more people. And because He is with us, we need not worry.

"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed - not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence - continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose" - Philippians 2:12-13

Secondly, pray for the interaction. Pray for the "right" thing to say. Pray for this person's heart to be open to what you are saying. Pray for the holy spirit to move through you.

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us." - 1 John 5:14

Thirdly, find your strengths and gifts. If conversation isn't your strong suit (like yours truly), maybe writing is the way you best express yourself. Find an outlet to share your thoughts and experiences and His word. Or maybe you are good at conversion, but only within small groups or one on one. Capitalize on those situations and those bonds. If people know you well enough, they will want to know what you believe and how it shapes who you are.

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." - 1 Peter 4:10

Lastly, if you still aren't in the place to have a conversation or write about God and His word, show others God's love through your actions. You can do this no matter where you are in life. Serve others and be a light. Act as though you are loved beyond measure — because you are.

"...let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:16

You and I are loved more than we can fathom. And I don't know about you, but I want to share this information with the world. I want everyone to know the everlasting love and grace that God has for us despite our sins — all because Jesus died for us.

And ultimately, I've realized that this truth trumps any hesitancy my introversion and perfectionism put before me. I am scared, but I am ready.