Share The Road With Runners and Cyclists This Summer

Please Share The Road With Runners and Cyclists This Summer

I am aware cars are the top priority on the road, but my safety should be a close second.

16
https://www.northernontario.travel/sites/default/files/styles/cover_image/public/_DSC9080.JPG?itok=mTlnBH3o
Northern Ontario - Travel

I'm not one to go on a rant about things like this because running, to me, is pretty sacred. I never want to complain about it. But lately, I haven't been able to hide my rage.

More often than not, I get extremely uncomfortable while running, especially over the summer.

No, it's not because I'm running in a sports bra.

While I used to think to get "cat-called" was one of the most disrespectful things that could happen to me while running, I was sadly mistaken.

Listen, I don't always want to be running in 90-degree weather, either. But I shouldn't feel like my healthy habits are an inconvenience to everyone on the road. I always, always, always run in the shoulder and against traffic, so I have full control over moving out of the way of a car if need be. I am aware cars are the top priority on the road.

But my safety should be a close second.

I shouldn't have to fear getting run over because someone chooses to drive too close to me and cross over the shoulder line to purposely scare me. I don't care how good of a driver you are; you have no right to make me fear my safety or life.

Please, if you see a runner or cyclist waiting patiently in the crosswalk, in a where the pedestrians have the right of way, stop for them. I'm not talking about at a light, but it's a STATE LAW to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. It's come to my attention that not everyone follows that or believes it's right.

There have been multiple times when I've waited to cross the road for nearly five minutes, and when, finally, a car in one direction stops for me, the car coming in the other direction does not.

I totally get that sometimes we are in a rush. We're running late for work or an appointment, but take five seconds to slow the heck down. Please. We are begging you.

There's no reason to purposely speed up by us to give us a scare or make us feel inferior. We sometimes have no other choice than to run on the road to get where we are going. It's hot as all hell outside, and all we ask is to feel seen on the road.

From runners and cyclists everywhere, please respect the tiny amount of space we ask for. Pedestrian and cyclist death rates are growing. Don't be a reason for that statistic to continue to grow.