Sexual Harassment Is Not A Joke And It's Time To Stop Treating It Like One

No one is laughing.

333

Women are starting to break their silence and I'm so here for it.

Recently, the media has been flooded with stories of men in Hollywood being accused of sexually harassing or assaulting women. All of these stories have lit a fire inside of me that I feared I would never find. This is a fire that I don't intend on ever letting burn out. I have a lot to say, so buckle up.

I see so many people asking the question, "Why did these women wait until now to tell their stories?" I'll tell you why. For the first time in history, women's voices are being heard. For the first time in history, people are choosing to believe what the women are saying instead of just sweeping it under the rug. Actions are being taken against the accused and the support for these women is at an all-time high. That's why women are just now speaking up.

Women are constantly ridiculed for their silence and it's not fair. People don't realize that it's not an easy task to openly admit that you've been harassed or assaulted.

Some are scared.

Some are embarrassed.

Some women are quite literally in situations where their careers and their livelihoods would be at risk if they decided to speak out.

So many women, especially in the entertainment industry, were told that if they make any allegations, they would be fired and would never be hired anywhere else. Could you imagine getting harassed in the workplace of your dream job and then having to decide between keeping your job or telling your story?

In many cases, women have been threatened or manipulated into silence.

Furthermore, women remained silent because of the lack of support that used to heavily exist in the media. Women weren't taken seriously. They were accused of making things up. How many times have you seen people ask the questions "Well, what were they wearing? Were they leading the man on?" The blame was constantly being placed on the victim, not the person who was guilty. Women figured that they were better off remaining silent because no one was going to believe them anyway.

The problem is not the victim's silence. The problem is there are people out there who believe it is okay to harass someone.

Let's not forget about the men who are victims of sexual assault, as well. Their voices and their stories matter, too. Those men deserve justice and support just as much as women do. Equality is what matters.

The sad reality is that this kind of thing doesn't only happen in the entertainment business, it happens in workplaces and atmospheres of all kinds. Something needs to change. Equal rights and equal treatment aren't an option, they're mandatory. Respect, love, and safety should be the goal in every setting. We need to be better. We need change.

To the people who say "It was just a joke, suck it up," you're part of the problem. Making someone feel uncomfortable or demoralized is not a joke. No one is laughing at those comments.

To the people who say "Maybe they were asking for it with what they were wearing or how they were acting," you're part of the problem. No one asks to be sexually assaulted. No one asked to be harassed. Women should be able to wear what they want and be who they want to be without the fear of being assaulted hanging over their heads.

To the people who say "You're overreacting. It probably wasn't as bad as you're making it seem," you're part of the problem. Until you have been in a position where you feel violated, you can't even begin to understand what someone in that position is feeling. The pain, the embarrassment, the shame, the anger, and the never-ending trauma it brings you..it rips through you. It can be debilitating. Do not ever tell someone how they should feel about something they've been through.

Believe the victim. Support the victim. And in the words of the incredibly admirable and strong female cast of "One Tree Hill"...#BurnItDownSis.