Sexual Coercion and a Nuclear War are Exactly the Same Thing.

Look I know this picture has Aziz Ansari, but I am not going to talk about Aziz Ansari! Okay?

Time Magazine / Wikimedia
69

In “Sex and Death in the Rational World of Defense Intellectuals,” Carol Cohn states that defense officials talked about the nuclear war in a techno-strategic tone that makes nuclear war an abstract idea like this city will lose this much collateral damage if this nuke hits or so on. Such tone is quite similar to how men operate in date culture in which they talked about their dates as if they have achieved a conquest like “when she says no, it’s a maybe.” The use of the technostrategic language is used to justify the topic of choice during the discussion and put down what is something wrong with the topic. Just like the same defense officials talk casually about millions dying from nuclear war, the same way men talk casually about their date being obligated to give them sexual favors. However, both should be of moral outrage. Just like a woman being obligated to have sex should be an outrage, so should populations getting killed by nuclear weapons. But, at the same time, men, whether they are looking for a date or are defense intellectuals themselves, remove any accountability by talking their statements through "technostrategic language." Men in date culture think of women as disposable the same way defense intellectuals think of populations as disposable due to "technostrategic language."

Men think of women as disposable in terms of sex by using "technostrategic language." Men place their own pleasure first, but not the women's. In that case, women's bodies are disposable-as if they are taken away and they're done. For instance, writing for the Huffington Post, Amber Genuske told a tale of her friend agreeing to give oral sex to her boyfriend. Even though she consented, she felt "obligated to get him off." Genuske concluded that sex is mainly a "guy's show" and that the woman's pleasure is an afterthought. Henceforth, men speak of sex in prideful terms akin to conquests. Such statements like "I got laid" illustrates a journey to "get some." But, that journey is a personal journey--a journey to get pleasure for themselves, but not for the other. Overall, not that many men think of sexual coercion as a bad thing, but instead think of it as a natural part of their sexual experience.

The defense intellectuals think of populations as disposable in terms of a nuclear war by using "technostrategic language." Defense intellectuals did not speak of “casualties” of a nuclear war with concern. Instead, they speak of casualties as “collateral damage” as if they are things with no hopes and dreams. This indicates that the defense intellectuals have seen the populations as disposable--as if they’re damage that can be cleaned up. By speaking in "technostrategic language," it is almost like that those defense intellectuals are boasting about "mass murder" except "mass murder" is not "mass murder," it's "collateral damage." Cohn remarked that "collateral damage" very much means "human death" but, through talking in the "technostrategic language," the defense intellectuals did not realize anything wrong about it. Overall, the defense intellectuals speak of a nuclear war as an abstract idea that calls for statistics, but never as a horrifying event that can destroy lives.

To sum it up, men make human beings disposable in both date culture and in the war room. Men think of women as "conquests" in their personal journey about sex. Henceforth, they do not think of the women's pleasure and only think of their own. Therefore, women are shown to be disposable. Defense officials think of human casualties as "collateral damage." Henceforth, they do not think that the people who are part of the "collateral damage" have lives of their own. Therefore, the people are presented as disposable. Carol Cohn wrote her piece to state how technostrategic language can remove the reality of civilians dying from a nuclear war in the war room. It is possible that one might not just find techno-strategic language in not just the mouth of a defense official talking seriously about "collateral damage" in San Francisco, but also perhaps, the mouth of some guy in a bar boasting about how he got "laid" to a group of friends. Overall, technostrategic language can be found everywhere, either in date culture or in the war room