'Sex Education' On Netflix Taught Me More Than My Health Class

And I had a GOOD health class.

889

Let me first start off by saying this show has a LOT of sex in it, as you would imagine from the name. The main storyline follows Otis, a high school student in London, and his mother, a sex therapist. As the show progresses, Otis starts to give sex advice to his classmates with the help of rebel student Maeve. But the show is so much more than that.

This show had me hating and rooting for EVERY SINGLE character at some point, to a degree I haven't found in another show for a while. Not only do we get to see a lot of teenagers starting to come into sexual maturity, but we also get to see them struggle with things that are unique to each of them. We get to see the issues of popular kids and kids who are living on their own. We see straight, lesbian, and gay couples. We see fetishes and kinks and people figuring out how to talk to their partners about consent and what makes them happy.

And we get to see the consequences of not being taught what sexual health is, or a lack of sex education if you will.

I have never watched a show that talks so candidly about sex in teenagers, except maybe Big Mouth (another Netflix show, if you haven't seen that yet, either). And even that didn't necessarily talk about serious things.

I think one of the biggest advantages of watching this show is that every episode feels so real. Yes, there are dramatic parts and there are funny parts, but at the core, the show is relaxed and talks about things seriously without a lot of super complicated language. Keep in mind that a teenager is giving other teenagers advice.

Without spoiling anything major, every character has a significant issue mentally or physiscally they work through, and there are medical issues and conditions I knew barely anything about that I can say I am not as freaked out about. The concept of virginity comes up and there are people on the side of "It's okay to not have sex," which is super important in a show marketed towards younger people.

That being said, we do see nudity and bodies in the show, which, frankly, I also appreciate that the "popular" kids in the school are also having concerns and issues, and they are serious and relevant, and captivating. Some of the biggest storylines revolve around societal standards of what high schooles are supposed to do and who they can hang out with. Sadly, not evey character is kind of accepting, but then again, that is life. We see every character grow and learn and make mistakes.

The show is also one of the most honest depictions of a gay character I have ever seen. I understand that every LGBTQ+ person has a different story, but the way Eric, an openly gay man, is shown, is chilling and exhilerating. We don't have to go through a coming out storyline, and we get to instead see how the environment shapes around him and actually changes throughout the show.

10/10 would reccomend to anyone looking for a more human show.