Seven Things Not To Do While Studying Online

While Studying Online

25

Many working individuals often find it hard to strike a balance between work and academic life.

Today, with the advent of technology, people can even earn a master's degree from the comfort of their homes. Today, thanks to elearning software development and innovative technology solutions, people can even earn a master's degree from the comfort of their homes. The covid-19 pandemic and lockdown restrictions have forced everyone to stay indoors and complete their education through online platforms. Although the traditional educational system has not entirely vanished, online learning is trending more these days. While some may still prefer the conventional learning system, others vouch for online education.

However, to gain maximum results, students must adopt intelligent techniques and avoid making mistakes that might hinder their performance.

Below are some of the don'ts of online learning that students should not brush off at any cost:

1. Do Not Forget To Study The Curriculum

The majority of students often overlook this factor during e-learning. They don't bother to review the course content or even skim through it. They have a misconception that they will get a gist of it once the online classes start. Acting calmly and remaining oblivious of your curriculum can stir up problems in your future.

For instance, if you plan to enroll in the MSEE (Master's of Science in Electrical Engineering) program but have no clue about basic electrical engineering and power systems concepts. Do you think you will be able to grasp advanced concepts? Probably, no.

Understanding the fundamental knowledge of any subject can make you go a long way. Set aside some time and go through the coursework beforehand. Even if your classes are in progress, dedicate time every week to study the course material. That way, you can appear fully-prepared and participate in lectures actively.

1. Do Not Procrastinate

The beauty of online learning lies in the fact that you can learn at your own pace. However, if you are habitual of stalling things, this might be a red flag. Procrastination is one of your biggest enemies. You may not realize it right now, but it will have a massive impact on your learning process. These feelings mostly emerge when you find a task onerous and unexciting. It irks you to no end, and you find it extremely hard to make up your mind to finish the pending work.

If you keep on delaying the tasks at hand, the course work will get overburden, you will get behind your peers, and performance will deter. Figure out the reasons why do you feel this way and deal with these issues. After all, procrastination is the thief of your time. One effective way to beat procrastination is to apply the Pomodoro technique to achieve your everyday targets.

1. Do Not Live In Your Comfort Zone

Although an online learning system offers many significant advantages, some of which you might not be aware of earlier. At the same time, it has also reduced the enjoyment of meeting in-person, especially with the ongoing pandemic and physical-distancing limitations. Some students, being closed-off, find it hard to interact and communicate with others virtually. However, this certainly does not mean that you should keep it this way. Step out of your comfort zone, introduce yourself briefly, and voice out your opinions fearlessly. Ensure that you also allow others to speak up and not engage the microphone for too long.

1. Do Not Make Your Bed Your Study Table

Online learning gives you the benefit of studying from anywhere in your house, even if it's your bed. As enticing it sounds, you may have to reconsider your choice. Imagine yourself appearing in an online class in nightwear, looking as if you have just rolled out from the bed. Perhaps you might even end up falling asleep again in the middle of the class. It probably gives the impression of your non-serious attitude towards education and how you take it for granted. Therefore, make sure you choose a place that is free of distractions and noise. Set up proper lighting to refrain from vision problems. Also, carry with yourself the necessary supplies in your room and close the door for complete privacy.

1. Do Not Shy Away From Asking Help

Never hesitate to ask questions or reach out to the professors for help. Even if you are a person of an introverted nature, do not shy away. Instead of dwelling on ambiguities, what-ifs, and unsureness, it is better to clear out your concepts. Just contact/approach your lecturers and ask them your queries. Another approach is to send an email or utilize class discussion forums. Since professors are there for help and support, you might as well make the most of them.

Similarly, you may have second thoughts about an assignment or project work and don't know how to proceed. In such a case, it doesn't hurt to ask for assistance from your fellow mates.

1. Do Not Rely On Poor Internet Connectivity

As crucial as your notebook and stationery are, is a proper internet connection is also vital for gaining maximum benefit from online learning. Without it, you may encounter glitches every so often. You might miss the lecture's essential parts or be unable to comprehend what the whole class discusses. Distorted audio can deviate your focus and leave you frustrated. You might also encounter difficulty while accessing online resources.

Ensure that you have a reliable and uninterrupted connection from your internet service provider. Apart from this, create a backup plan too in case of any unanticipated event. Check out the camera quality and make sure that headphone works perfectly fine.

1. Do Not Let Your Mind Drift To Negative Thoughts

It is true that sitting in a monotonous environment and the lack of physical interaction between students can drift one's mind into negativity. Before wallowing into such thoughts, reward yourself with short breaks. Take a stroll at the park, prepare yourself a cup of coffee, practice quick yoga sessions, or workout some time daily. It will help you ease the worries and calm your mind. Even if you feel low sometimes, do not pester yourself. Instead, take some rest and resume when your mind is in the right state. It is worthy to note that a positive attitude is a vital aspect of online learning. Therefore, keep an optimistic approach and growth mindset during online classes.

Final Thoughts

A transition from a traditional to an online learning system, for sure, has brought up many advantages. With the self-regulation and self-pace benefits, the opportunity to have a one-on-one relationship with teachers tops the list. With that said, students still need some time and resources to adapt to this new shift entirely. They should become more tech-savvy and seek help and correspondence from their institutions' official help centers. Since education is more like a two-way track, both professors and students need to work together by all means possible.