Stereotyping; Aussie Style

Stereotyping; Aussie Style

How a cartoonist gained publicity within less than a week thanks to good ol' racism.

21
Stereotyping; Aussie Style

Serena Williams' tennis match against Naomi Osaka during the 2018 World Cup will be one people will never forget. Osaka beating Williams (who is a tennis world champion) and Williams braking her racket during the match along with arguing with the umpire out of frustration will not be the only things people remember about this match.

People will also remember the racist cartoon of Williams that was featured in the Herald Sun Newspaper that it based in Melbourne, Australia. The political cartoonist behind this "work of art" is Mark Knight. Knight took his inspiration from Williams' frustration during the match along with his unwittingly racist views to create a cartoon that depicts Williams as being an aggressive cry baby over losing the tournament.

It's possible that the Australian Government has been upset with the U.S. for not giving Australia a lot of attention in the media lately, so Knight came to the rescue with his cartoon. With attention like this, Australia's tourism rates should sky rocket with many visitors from the U.S. such as Mike Pence, Jeff Sessions and Eric Trump (but only if he is accompanied by his brother Donald Trump Jr. for liability reasons).

Knight and his cartoon are getting a lot of backlash after it being published. Rebecca Wanzo from CNN.com wrote, "Mark Knight is participating in a long tradition of black stereotype, or what I often call a tradition of visual imperialism." Many people are relating Williams drawing to be similar to the Little Black Sambo character of 1899. The way Williams is drawn is not the only racist issue about this cartoon, but also the way Osaka is drawn. She is depicted to have a white complexion with blonde hair. Seems to be whitewashing at its finest.

Even from receiving a lot of hatred toward his cartoon from the public, Knight and the newspaper still defends his cartoon. According to Dailymail.com, Knight told Melbourne based radio station 3AW, ''It's a cartoon about poor behaviour. It's nothing to do with race." Is his cartoon just harmless satire? Is this just another harmless caricature. When you think about it, who really looks good as a caricature anyway. It is true that you have freedom of expression, freedom of speech and any more examples of excuses listed in the Racist's Book of Defenses. However, it is not absurd to conclude that Knight's cartoon was influenced by racist ideas and negative stereotypes.

When thinking about Australia's history with the way race is dealt with, it's not ridiculous to think that Australia not only has micro-nations, but also micro-aggression. According to Bo Seo of the WashingtonPost, using the n-word and dressing up in blackface are what has been going down in the Down Under. Instead of seeing Kangaroo Jack, you'll see someone in blackface going as Anthony Anderson. Knight's cartoon may not have been "intentionally racist", but it does bring light to the many racial issues that are occurring in Australia. For the Australians out there who are having a hard time to not take part in micro-aggression, just remember 'WWHJD?' — What Would Hugh Jackman Do?