15 Things To Do In Seoul When Visiting For The First Time

15 Things To Do When Visiting Seoul For The First Time

Add these to your bucket list.

1168

Seoul, South Korea is a beautiful city that is bustling with life and brimming with mouth-watering food, exciting attractions and unforgettable shopping spots. There are endless possibilities and experiences that await you around every corner. Whether you are traveling to Seoul for the first time or are a returner these 15 fun things are sure to leave lasting memories and lead way to a one of a kind adventure that only Seoul can provide.

1. Take the Seoul City bus tour.

This city tour will take you around to sightsee Seoul's major attractions and is perfect for a day of discovering the city.

upload.wikimedia.org

If you are arriving in Seoul for the first time this attraction is a must for sightseeing major attractions throughout the city. This tour bus allows you to hop on and off as you please at the price of a single ticket. The bus follows a circular route allowing you to tour Seoul's top sightseeing destinations. A headset is also available to passengers with audio guides of Seoul in eleven different languages. For first-timers, there is no better way to discover the city.

2. Visit Namsan Seoul Tower 

c1.staticflickr.com

Namsan Tower is a must-see for tourists who wish to glance at the most beautiful images of Seoul from one the highest mountain point in the city. This tower, a symbol of modern Seoul, is also Korea's first general radio wave tower from 1969, delivering TV and radio broadcasting in the metropolitan area. You can travel to the very top of this tower through either stairs or elevator and view breathtaking views of Seoul and the harmony of Namsan mountain. Namsan tower is a "complex cultural space" representing Seoul and continues to remain a proud landmark of Korea.

3. Eat street food in Myeongdong.

c1.staticflickr.com

When in Seoul, eating street food is a must. Street food in South Korea has traditionally been seen as a part of popular culture and can be found all over Seoul. As you walk down the shopping streets of Myeongdong the smell of delicious food lingers in the air and food vendor carts flood the street. Not only is this food delicious, it is also relatively cheap. Historically, street food mainly included foods such as eomuk 어묵(오뎅), bungeo-ppang (붕어빵), and tteok-bokki (떡볶이). The sight, smell, and taste of this food will absolutely stun you and is definitely worth the try.

4. Visit the Dog Cafe.

This dog cafe, located in Myeongdong, was one of my absolute favorite places to go with friends while living in Seoul. By paying a single ticket price you are able to pet dogs for as long as you please as well as drink a complementary beverage. The dogs are very playful and love to sleep in your lap for hours. This attraction is a must-see for all my dog lovers out there!

5. Go to Seoul Land.

Seoul Land is an amusement park opened in 1987, located in the Seoul Grand Park complex. Seoul Land and has about 40 rides, including roller coasters, large attractions, and movie theaters. This amusement park is especially known for its seasonal festivals and is a great way to spend a day at a relatively low price. Another amusement park to check out in Seoul is Lotte World, which is both indoor and outdoor, however, tends to be a lot more pricey.

6. Go for a walk along the Han River.

Photo by Maria Snodgrass

A walk along the Han River that runs through the heart of Seoul is common practice and is a calming way to relieve stress. Around twelve parks exist along the Han River which makes the Han a popular place for jogging, biking, and dog walking. If you are hungry you can even buy and cook your own ramen from a riverside convenience store. Watching the rainbow lights at Bampo bridge at night is also a breathtaking experience (10/10 would recommend).

7. Visit Seoul Forest.

upload.wikimedia.org

If you are looking to get away from the bright city lights and gain a deeper appreciation for nature, Seoul Forest is an attraction that allows you to do both of these and more, free of charge. This park is eco-friendly and contains insect and butterfly gardens, fountains and sculptures, and a deer consul that is very highly maintained. You can walk one of the many trails, sit and relax for a picnic, or even rent a bike. If you are looking to step back and relax, Seoul Forest is a great way to do this while enjoying the accompaniment of both nature and animals.

8. Go to a karaoke room (노래방) with friends. 

c1.staticflickr.com

One of the things I miss most about Seoul is going to Korean karaoke rooms with friends. Traditionally American karaoke is done in public places, however, the great thing about Korean karaoke (or Noraebang) is that you rent out private singing rooms and avoid public humiliation. The rate usually goes for about $10 US dollars an hour and in your private singing room, you'll likely find huge screens, microphones, disco lights, taborines, and thousands of songs to choose from. You can sing to your heart's content and entertain both yourself and your friends.

9. Go night shopping in Dongdaemun.

c1.staticflickr.com

Dongdaemun Market is a shopping attraction right next to Cheonggyecheon Stream that is well known for its night shopping and is usually open 24 hours. Dongdaemun Market carries fashion items such as clothing, shoes, bags, and accessories for both retail and wholesale purchase and is a great attraction to get a taste of the Korean shopping experience. By night shopping you will not only be able to receive incredible bargains, but you will also get a taste of the nightlife in Seoul.

10. Visit a cafe. 

Photo by Maria Snodgrass

There are hundreds of cafes in Seoul that are worth exploring. Not only are there themed cafes, such as the dog cafe, but there are also cafes that are not as easy to discover. The picture above shows "galaxy food" from a cafe that was hidden away in the backstreets of Hongdae that I discovered with my friends. Discovering a cafe in Seoul is definitely an experience I would recommend, especially if you want to take it to the next level on your next instagram post.

11. Visit a Korean Palace.

Gyeongbokgung, also known as Gyeongbokgung Palace or Gyeongbok Palace, was the main royal palace of the Joseon dynasty. Built in 1395, it is located in northern Seoul, and today is a major tourist attraction for many interested in taking a deeper look into Korea's rich history. There are many rental shops surrounding the palace in which you can rent Korean traditional clothing (hanbok) which will grant you free admission into the palace. The hanbok for both men and women from the Joseon period was typically worn as semi-formal or formal wear during traditional festivals and celebrations. Viewing Gyeongbokgung palace will make you feel as if you are being transported back in time, despite the bustling city surrounding you.

12. Eat authentic Korean Barbeque. 

upload.wikimedia.org

Of course if you go to Seoul you will need to indulge in delicious Korean barbeque, or as many of my friends called it "beef and leaf." These resturaunts are all over the city and it will not be hard to find one however it is important to be aware of price, especially if you find a resturaunt in a popular tourist destination. By finding a resturaunt in a neighboring district to a huge shopping center, you will be getting a better deal as well as a satisfying meal. Enjoying the sights, smells, and delicious taste of Korean barbeque makes smelling like kimchi shortly afterwards completely worth it.

13. Watch a movie. 

c1.staticflickr.com

You have not properly seen a movie until you have watched a movie in a Korean movie theater. Not only are you able to choose from a huge list of gourmet popcorm and snacks, but if this doesn't suit you, you can bring your own food into the movie. I know amazing right! But wait, there's more! When you buy your ticket for your movie you even reserve seats beforehand and present your ticket to ensure you get the seat you picked. The seats are also extremely comfortable and makes the movie all the more enjoyable. If you have the chance try seeing a movie while in Seoul, you will not regret it.

14. Ride the Subway. 

Transportation by subway is a major mode of transportation in Seoul and is definitely worth riding during your trip. The subway is relatively easy to use as it is categorized by lines and can take you anywhere you need to go in the city. If needed the subway can even transport you out of Seoul. There are apps that can be downloaded that can help you navigate the subway systems of Seoul and take you where you need to go at a much cheaper price than taxis in bustling traffic. Every time you get on the subway it feels like an adventure in the making! Just try to avoid Friday and Saturday night rush, as that can be a very traumatic experience.

15. Visit a convenience store. 

You literally cannot go a block in Seoul without seeing some form of convenience store. What's inside you wonder? Oh, only the stuff of your wildest dreams. Korean convenience stores are notorious for having everything you could possibly want. In fact, they have so many varieties of snacks and drinks that everytime you go in you come out with things you didn't even know you needed. All in all, these convenience stores have very good quality food and they're great for a quick meal or for a coffee in the morning. These convenience stores are also often open 24 hours a day and are definitely worth checking out. Trust me, you won't be disapointed.