My Sensitivity Is My Greatest Strength

My Sensitivity Is My Greatest Strength

And I will no longer apologize for it.

Consistently throughout my life I have felt...well a lot. Sometimes I think it's almost as if I feel everything going on in the world. Wouldn't that be the absolute worst super power to have? Man in New York got stabbed? I felt it. Woman with a broken heart in Idaho, felt that one too. But in all seriousness I have lived my life picking up on others' emotions and the feelings of the environments around me. I react strongly to situations and think deeply about my responses. My feelings are hurt easily and I worry profusely about what is happening around me. I have spent my life thus far apologizing for this. I have apologized to the point where it's as if my feelings are the most vexatious occurrence to happen in the world. I apologize extensively for my own thoughts and feelings.

Living in a society where we are typically told to be strong and cutthroat to get ahead, and where we are told to avoid showing feelings to others, us sensitive souls have ridden ourselves with guilt over one of the most important traits that was given to us.

I am sensitive, and I am no longer going to apologize for it.

God forbid my neighbor sees that I was crying this morning. Or that a snide remark a stranger made got to me. We are human, and we are allowed to feel. We are allowed to take up space with the expression of our feelings.

My sensitivity has become my favorite thing about me, and if you're in the same boat it should be one of your favorite characteristics as well. I have the ability to be vulnerable, let my guard down and let others into parts of my life that not many do. I do not hide feelings or play games with others. Everything is laid out on the table when one meets me, and it's their choice wether to take it or leave it.

I tear up when I think of the people I love. I feel the pang of anger fire through me when a friend is hurt. I understand the environment I am in and the mood of those surrounding me, which aids with my ability to work with others.

My sensitivity is the core trait that makes up all the small pieces of me. My sensitivity is my creativity, it is my tender heart, it is my passion for helping others, it is my long and continuous thoughts. My sensitivity is my wholehearted courage. My sensitivity is my need to connect with others and learn about their stories. My sensitivity is my ability the be the compassionate person that I am. That one single trait is the essence of my very soul.

The next time you let your feelings out, leave them for a moment before you hurry with apologetic embarrassment attempting to take them back. We are no longer apologizing.