So Long Seniors

So Long Seniors

I know you're ready for the real world, but I'm not ready for you to go.

20
So Long Seniors
Chuck Bomar

Dear Seniors/Soon to be Alumni,

How dare you leave us! We have spent the last two or three years falling in love with one another's quirks, hobbies and talents, so why do you want to abandon your friends for adulthood? This is cruel. I really thought you loved me, and that we would be friends for the rest of our lives. I'm sorry if I sound the same way that your mother did when you moved out of the house four years ago. I'm just not ready for you to leave the nest.

The logical part of me knows that we will stay in contact with each other. I mean, we have to keep our snap streaks alive, and we never settled that drinking competition or philosophical debate that we started at one o'clock in the morning. Thus, our friendships will continue on after you enter the real world. It just has to. I know it.

It has been extremely difficult saying goodbye. Although I selfishly want you to stay,

I know the world needs you and your greatness, so goodbye and thank you for the inspiration you've given me.

What inspiration you ask? Your ambition has challenged me to be determined and responsible in all of the work that I take on. Your intentionality has tempted me to live every moment to the fullest (and now that you're already graduating from college, I am reminded that I don't have as many moments left here as I think I do). Finally, your love has taught me to be compassionate and giving with the underclassmen who are coming in the next few years, because we'll be their role models, just like you were (nay--are) for us. Goodbye, my friends. You are going to change the world, and I have been honored and blessed to know you.

You've worked your asses off these last four years, so you really do deserve to walk across that stage and receive your diploma. I love you guys so much.

From your extremely-desperate-to-make-you-stay, underclassmen friend.

P.S. You better visit next year! (but not right away, because graduates who do that are weird) BAI!