5 New Semester Resolutions That Anyone, Even You, Can Keep

College students have a lot going on, our goals need to be very straightforward.

53

As winter break dies out and classes nationwide come to session once more, college students everywhere will repeat the mantra of, “I’ll be better this year.” Whether this means they will start using the gym on their campus, or that they will no longer start research papers at 11 PM the night before the due date, we all know that these goals never last long.

The stress and exhaustion begins to set back in and motivation quickly begins lagging. Setting goals can help people accomplish certain feats; however, it is important to stay realistic in your goals so as to not set yourself up for disappointment. It’s all about baby steps. If you only look at the long-term, it is quite easy to get discouraged when results are not immediately evident.

Additionally, with school, work, and social obligations, it can be difficult to find time to dedicate to the New Year’s resolutions we set up for ourselves. Read forward to discover the five small goals that are productive and easy for the typical college student to achieve in their next semester:

1. Drink more water.

It’s difficult to get much of anything done if you’re feeling groggy, exhausted, and generally run down. Getting enough water in your system is a huge help to your body, so try your best to always have a water bottle around. If you’re someone who hates the fact that water has no flavor, try to infuse your water with fruits and herbs. Drinking herbal tea can also help you get your liquid intake up. Try to make drinking water a habit in your everyday life.

2. Avoid binge eating junk foods.

I get it: it may be late or you’re stressed and the hot Cheetos in your room look so tempting. However, after you stuff your face with the cheesy goodness, you usually regret it and your stomach hurts. Try to eat more fiber-rich foods throughout the day to stay fuller longer. It also helps to not buy unhealthy food to begin with, so when you get the munchies, you only have healthy options. You don’t have to give up junk food entirely, but take these small steps to ensure that you aren’t consuming an entire day’s worth of calories at 2 AM.

3. Schedule yourself deadlines.

To avoid energy drink induced all-nighters, write all your due dates as if they are a week earlier than they actually are. Make yourself believe that things are due earlier than they actually are so that you can get them done in a timely manner. Also, have a place to write down all deadlines and appointments you may have.

4. Explore your campus more.

Many people have extravagant plans of working out every day and getting fit after the new year. However, an easier way to get more exercise in your daily routine is by simply taking more walks. Go around your campus looking for new study places! Take the stairs more often. Anything that can get you moving more is an improvement.

5. Call home more often.

If you’re a college student staying farther away from home, it can be easy to get caught up in classes and hanging out with friends. An easy goal is to call someone you care about at least once a week. Set a reminder on your phone or write it in your planner. Your family and friends miss you and most likely want to hear from you.

The new year has a habit of reminding people of their ambitions and goals. However, it can be difficult to keep up with some of the more ornate goals as the year goes on. Students are notorious for convincing themselves they are going to accomplish more in their new school year. However, with all the stress that comes along with being a student, these resolutions can fall behind quickly. Try to implement small, habitual changes that will lead you on to accomplishing your long-term goals.