One Semester Down

One Semester Down

College is arguably the best thing to ever happen to me.

19
One Semester Down
Naccu

It still feels as though I just graduated from high school a month ago, but it's lo and behold it's been seven months. Now I'm writing this with my first semester of college coming to a close. While it's hard to explain, I never imagined life after high school - at least, not like this. I never could really wrap my head around what college was because I didn't know anything different from the public school system.

With the three months that I have been enrolled at UW-Stout, I have learned and changed a lot since those few months back when I was in high school. It's amazing how much can change and how much you learn within such a short time - with yourself, the things around you, common knowledge...everything.

Despite it feeling like it's been such a short time, it also feels like high school was a past life. I feel like the high school version of me was completely different. College has caused me to mature - a little bit anyway. I've gained a lot more responsibilities than I had ever had growing up. Now I'm responsible for making sure that my tuition is covered, my grades are up to par, doing my homework...just keeping up. Even if I do go home on the weekends, I still have the responsibility to make sure that my laundry gets washed and that I get some groceries if I need it.

As far as college versus high school, I've experienced just how different it is. Where I went to high school, it seemed as though everything was catered to you if you had the right last name and you didn't need to earn anything because it was just handed to you. In college, it's not like that it all. Professors don't care who you are or who you're related to. You have to work to earn your grade. It doesn't matter to them that you're the star football player or anything. You're just another student among thousands.

It wasn't a rude awakening to me, but it certainly was an awakening, especially when it comes to procrastination. I've always been really talented when it comes to procrastinating and boy, college makes it easy to do so. With class every other day, it's so easy to put something off. Living with friends is also another distraction that makes it easy to mix up priorities. That's were time management and responsibility plays a big part. I've learned how to manage my procrastination better and it's paying off.

Another thing that I have learned during my three months in college is how to make friends. I've met some really nice and amazing people while also already having some friends here. Everyone is in the same boat as far as friendships when they arrive here in September, so everyone is nice to everyone.

That was the part that I was most afraid of: making friends. I already had a few friends, but I knew that I was going to need to make more. I'm not what you would call an outgoing extrovert that has a mile long list of friends, so it felt really scary and new. I haven't had to make friends for years, so I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I still don't know. The friends I have made here at Stout just happened. It wasn't like I did anything special; I just talked to them and was myself. And they seem to like me for who I am, so that's a definite plus.

I used to be scared of college and the future. I still kind of am. Except now I have a better idea of what I have to do and I know what college actually is. I tried to plan out how I want my experience to go, but I've learned that it's no use. Not everything goes to plan and sometimes, there's nothing you can do about it.

College has changed me for the better. It's helped me grow into a more well-rounded individual and has helped me learn a lot about myself and the world around me. It can only go up from here.