Social Media Should Come Second To Your Mental Health

Self-Love Is Taking A Break From Social Media Every Now And Again

It's the talk of town lately, so take a break and focus on YOU.

78
Zaria Nabinett

It is overwhelming to think about how much social media I consume on a daily basis. It's even more overwhelming to acknowledge how much it has impacted my life.

Because of this, I cannot help but wonder if social media is my primary source of happiness. I cannot help but wonder if my happiness is authentic. I cannot help but wonder if social media is indirectly my primary source for depression or low self-esteem.

So where can I draw the line? How can social media be such a blessing, yet such a dangerous platform at the same time?

Social media is tricky.

It's tricky because everyone is affected differently. Social media can be misleading. We put up smiles and giggles on Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc. Rarely do we post when we are jealous, angry, or sad, and it's not necessarily bad.

Consider whether or not we are being real to ourselves. Social media allows us to impede on our own true feelings. It doesn’t feel genuine anymore. We focus on quantity over quality.

How do we discern between what is real and what is fake on social media? Can we? I think about this a lot, and my head begins to spin.

Here's my opinion:

It's alright to take a break from all of the smiles and giggles plastered on your timeline. It's alright to recognize you are unhappy. It's alright to understand that other people's lives are not yours.

It's not alright to let other people's loves influence yours. It is not alright to assume another's life is going better than yours.

If you feel it and when you need it, take a break from social media. Social media can be overwhelming, intimidating, and competitive. Missing a day or even a week is enough to help get you back on track. It will be worth it in the end, trust me.

Social media is amazing. I really don't think I could live without it. It makes me smile and giggle endlessly. Your health is important, and social media is not the fix for your sadness.