10 Things On My Checklist For Self-Love And Improvement In 2018

It's go time.

113

Dear Future Me,

As I'm writing this I'm blasting "The Greatest Showman" soundtrack with two of my best friends surrounding me. 2017 was a year I had to grow up a lot and although it's already a few weeks into 2018 I still think it's needed to reflect on the past year that's shaped me. This past year I struggled with a lot, trying to figure out what I was going to do in the next chapter of my life. I struggled with anxiety, losing friends who were a part of my support group, and moving out of my mother's house. I lost a lot of weight from a stomach condition and then thanks to college gained a little less than half back.

2018 for me is going to be a year of self-improvement, I'm going to stop looking at myself negatively and I'm going to obsess over how to improve rather than obsess over what I think should be changed. Although this statement sounds similar, I'm going to not go to the gym to lose weight, but go to the gym to gain stamina and feel stronger. Performing in my schools Show Choir last semester taught me being able to breathe while singing is important and super hard to do when your dying from the choreography.

1. I will cut out toxic people and relationships from my life

2. I will change my attitude towards myself and my body, establish self-love

3. I will take every opportunity offered to me in college

4. I will create art I'm 100% proud of

5. I will keep going even when the negative thoughts seem to outway the positive

6. I won't let laziness get in the way of something beautiful

7. I'll stop pushing people away and except new relationships with open arms

8. I'll avoid caffeine and dairy like my body and doctor pleads

9. I'll treat my body like the temple it is and not abuse it

10. I will find a reason to smile every day

11. I'll be more selfless and do something daily for someone else.

So here's my promise to myself, at the end of 2018 I'll reread this article and hopefully be able to say that I followed the guidelines I set up for myself. I want to focus on improving myself for the better, to stop allowing myself to be my worse enemy. It's time to be focused on me and make 2018 one of the best years I possibly can.