The Marvelous Realization That Self-love Trumps The Naysayers

February 14th is all about love. Show yourself some.

27
Photo by Amy Shamblen on Unsplash

I'm not naive enough to think romantic love is the end-all. Months alone in the house during the COVID-19 pandemic has helped me to re-evaluate much of what I thought my relationship status says about me - even my relationships with friends. Everyone has something to say, and there is power and conviction in their words. I once allowed friends and potential loves to scribble on the canvas that houses my story. Every headache had, every inch lost, every tear shed - I let others tell why they occurred. No more. Peace of mind and self-assuredness are the most underrated forms of ecstasy. There were times I would blissfully ponder who out there was made for me. Yet, now I know the most trustworthy arms are the ones that stem from me.

Fancy poetry-ish lines aside, I have learned validation is only as priceless as you make it. I will no longer be investing my time and joy into people that seem to only sing my praises when it serves their purpose. I'm not perfect, and I'm sure there are many faults I don't see. Yet, I realize the potential I have. My Valentine's Day will be spent reflecting on the "love thy self" mentality I now espouse.

TLC is the best medicine for all things - especially ourselves. <3