72 Alternatives To Distract Yourself From Self-Harm

Please, please take care of yourself. Someone cares about and loves you.

337
@pinnywooh

Self-care is an important aspect of life; it can be the very thing that saves you from spiraling into a dark place. Being in that dark place, that dark state of mind myself, I know the feeling. That urge. The itch to do something to create a feeling or erase any feelings at all.

Self-harm is a topic that so many people tip-toe around because of its sensitivity. While that argument is understandable, more attention should be brought to it in order to demonstrate that those who are suffering are not alone and that someone cares.

Comprised below is a list of things to help distract or take up time rather than engage in self-harm. For those who are hurting, keep these in mind, and for those who know someone, suggest an option from the list. You'll be helping someone take a step towards recovery.

1. Say “I’ll self-harm in 15 minutes if I still want to” and keep going for periods of fifteen minutes until the urge fades

Usually, the feeling will fade within the first 15 minutes since the feeling will be “in the moment” and not necessarily long-term.

2. Color your hair

3. Count up to 10, getting louder until you are screaming

Screaming helps release tension and creates noise so you don't feel so alone.

4. Sing on the karaoke machine

5. Take up a new hobby

Swimming, running, coloring, knitting/crocheting, etc. The options are endless.

5. Complete something you’ve been putting off

7. Make a cup of tea

The best would be chamomile. It's soothing and makes you sleepy.

8. Tell and laugh at jokes

9. Play solitaire

There are plenty of apps that have single player card games. It's a simple and fun distraction.

10. Count up to 500 or 1000

11. Make as many words out of your full name as possible

Or create an acrostic poem out of your name.

12. Surf the net

13. Color coordinate your wardrobe

Meaning in your closet group everything by colors. Anything red with red, orange with orange, and so on.

14. Count ceiling tiles or lights

15. Search ridiculous things on the web

Like, “what would a chair look like if your knees bent the other way?”

16. Play with toys, such as a slinky

17. Go "people watching"

Go alone or go with a friend or group of friends and turn it into a game. Make up stories about the people you're watching.

18. Go to the park and play on the swings

19. Learn Tapping Therapy

Tapping Therapy is a set of techniques that use specific body points that have energy. By tapping these body points, you can tap into your own body energy and healing powers.

I learned this technique a few years ago, and while I was initially skeptical, I did see a change in my energy over time.

20. Call up an old friend

21. Carry safe, rather than sharp, things in your pockets

Like scrunchies, a stress ball, slinky, etc.

22. Play a musical instrument

23. Watch TV or a movie

Stay away from sad/triggering movies. Watch a comedy. Or a horror movie. Watch a series. Anything that won’t trigger you.

24. Alphabetize your CDs or books

25. Paint your nails

Think about each motion you go through as you paint each nail.

26. Cook

27. Doodle on sheets of paper

It doesn't necessarily have to be artwork; it could just be coloring an entire piece of paper one color. Or even putting your signature all over a piece of paper.

28. Make origami to occupy your hands

29. Dress up or try on old clothes

Anything that doesn’t fit should go in a box that you can donate.

30. Write out lyrics to your favorite song

31. Play computer games or painting programs

Like Photoshop, Octogan, etc.

32. Read a book/magazine

33. Play a sport

Or maybe learn one. Doesn't matter, you'll feel tired after and just want to go to bed.

34. Do a crossword

35. Draw a comic strip

It could literally be about anything. Draw about your life that week or that day. Or make up a story about a character who’s a superhero or villain.

36. Knit, sew, or make a necklace

37. Make a chain link out of paper counting the hours or days you've been self-harm free using pretty colored paper

Make one for every day you go without self-harming. If a slip-up happens (which in the beginning process of recovery it does tend to happen), then start over. It helps you keep track of your personal progress for recovery.

38. Buy a plant and take care of it

39. Make 'scoobies'

AKA the bracelets or chains of string or lanyard. This includes the Chinese Staircase stitch and the Square/Box stitch everyone knew in elementary and middle school.

40. Hunt for things on eBay or Amazon

41. Go shopping

Go online shopping or head over to the actual physical store. My favorite thing about online shopping is spending time looking at each item, adding things to my cart, looking at the total price, laughing, and closing out the page.

42. Browse the forums

43. Memorize a poem with meaning

One of my favorites is "To This Day" by Shane Koyczan.

44. Look up words in a dictionary

45. Learn to swear in another language

Then you have more ways to yell swear words, instead of just English, or your native language.

46. Plan a party

47. Play hide-and-seek with your siblings

Or with friends if you don't have siblings.

48. Go outside and watch the clouds roll by

49. Find out if any concerts will be in your area

Whether it’s a big tour for someone famous or a local concert, concerts are fun events to attend and the wait for the upcoming day is exciting.

50. Finish homework before it's due

51. Trace your hand on a piece of paper and write

On your thumb, write something you like to look at; on your index finger, write something you like to touch; on your middle finger, write your favorite scent; on your ring finger, write something you like the taste of; on your pinky finger, write something you like to listen to; on your palm, write something you like about yourself.

52. Plan regular activities for your most difficult time of day

53. Make your own dance routine

You don't have to post it anywhere if you aren't comfortable with that. Make it for yourself and have fun with it.

54. Get out on your own, get away from the stress

55. Take a break from mental processing

i.e. Meditate. Clear your mind. You and everything around you are one in the same. Take deeps breaths and blank out your mind.

56. Make a scrapbook

57. Go on YouTube

Click on random videos and see how long it takes for you to end up on the weird side of YouTube.

58. Notice black and white thinking

59. Color in a picture or coloring book

My favorite is one my sister got me that has swear words. You can get it on Amazon. There are plenty of other adult coloring books too.

60. Pay attention to the rhythmic motions of your body (walking, stretching, etc.)

61. Make a phone list of people you can call for support

But more importantly, ALLOW yourself to use it.

62. Pay attention to your breathing

63. Learn HALT signals (hungry, angry, lonely, tired)

It can serve as a reminder that we need to take care of ourselves. For more information, click here.

64. Choose a random object, like a paper clip, and try to list 30 different uses for it

65. Pick a subject and research it on the web

Alternatively, pick something to research and then keep clicking on links, trying to get as far away from the original topic as you can

66.Take a small step towards a goal you have.

67. Re-organize your room

Sometimes when I re-organize my room, I would also re-do my room layout. I would change the position of my bed, my desk, my bookcase, and my dresser. Not only does it take up time, but sometimes a little revamping helps you breathe and think better.

68. Name all of your soft toys

69. Play the A-Z game

Pick a category, such as animals, and think of an animal for every letter of the alphabet

70. Do some knitting

71. Have a lush, warm bubble bath with candles!

Or if you don't have a bathtub, take a nice and long warm shower.

72. Do some household chores

Sometimes cleaning just does the trick.