Self-Esteem Advice As Told By Mary Katherine Gallagher

You are a superstar in your special way.

86
YouTube

Mary Katherine Gallagher is a beloved character that began her fame on the SNL stage then got her big break starring in her own movie. She represents anyone and everyone who has been and still is being bullied for pursuing their dreams. All she wants to be is a superstar, but people tell that it is never going to happen. That does not stop her because she knows that she is special and she has something to offer to the world around her. She is an advocate for all people who are going through this type of situation. So, hopefully she will give advice on how to be a true superstar in your own way!

1. Hit them with a feisty comeback.

If you are walking down the hall in school and someone or people just start hating on you, hit them with a comeback. You don't have to say something rude back, but just act confident in yourself and stand firm in who you are. Usually when people pick on you it is because they are experiencing self-esteem issues, so they try to get rid of them by bullying other people. Those people might also be going through a rough patch in their life, so give them the benefit of the doubt and move on with your life just as you are without listening to what people think about you.

2. Don't be afraid to tell it like it is in order to save yourself.

Some people can be a little pushy to be your friend, which can be great because someone wants to be in your life, but on the other hand it might seem like they are trying too hard, as if they feel sorry for you. If they truly want to be your friend then they will accept your honesty of what impression they left on you. If they do not accept this then they just wanted to pity you because they think you need a friend. Be a strong independent woman who don't need no pity.

3. It is OK to do weird things when you are nervous/get anxiety.

If it does not harm you or others, then do it. If it helps you cope and comforts you in a time of need, then by all means go for it. Many things can cause the decrease of one's self-esteem and if it just hits you like a ton of bricks then please find something or someone that will be there to reassure your awesomeness. I bet many other people either have weird coping exercises, maybe something even weirder than yours! Some coping mechanisms besides the one above could be breathing exercises, writing, reading, going for a run, etc.

4. Be intense to show people you mean business.

A lot of anger and rage can be built up over time because of things that make you feel bad about yourself that you have not come to terms with yet. So, if someone or something says one little thing to you, it will set you off. I suggest you do not use violence, but you could use your body language to show that they should not mess with you. Do not break down; instead come back stronger than the other person.

5. Do not ever forget that you are unique.

It might seem sometimes that you are just following the crowd and going through the motions of life just like everyone else. However, that is not the case. Your uniqueness could be big and/or small, on your inside and/or your outside, but nonetheless unlike anyone else. Remind yourself of that everyday. Find something that you think is unique about you and I guarantee that your self-esteem will sky rocket. Embrace your uniqueness for what it is no matter how weird, because if it is weird to other people than that probably means that no person has seen it before, which makes you unique.

6. When you realize that you should accept yourself for who you are, it will be an insane feeling.

When the time comes that you have an epiphany about how amazing you are, it will be a time to celebrate. For some people it might take awhile for various reasons and that is OK, but when they see themselves the way they want to see themselves and not what other people see it will be insane. Learn to love yourself first even though that sounds selfish, but when you gain that knowledge it will be a lot easier loving people and then accepting their love back.

7. Flaunt your hot bod.

Show the world what your mama gave you! Know that you are beautiful and try to extenuate those features (appropriately) to everyone around you, presenting the message that you want to look good for you and not for anyone else. Again emphasizing the fact that you are independent and you don't need no man to make you feel good about yourself. If you feel like wearing heels to school one day, then do it. If you want to wear sweatpants and sweatshirts everyday, then do it because you want to be comfy. Literally you do you.

8. Don't forget to strike a pose to show the world that you are truly a superstar.

You are a superstar in some way, shape, or form. In sports, music, academic, art, cooking, and so many more categories you can be not just a star, but a superstar. That does not mean that you have to be the best at what you do; it just means that you work hard and put all your effort into something to show your passion for it. When people see your passion they will want to have a passion for something too, which in turn will give them a place to belong and create a chain reaction of superstars everywhere. This world needs some more superstars, but you just need to recognize it.