Self-Care Under the Trump Regime

Self-Care Under the Trump Regime

Let’s get this straight: it is a regime. Look it up.

4
Self-Care Under the Trump Regime
The Wisdom Daily

You’re probably very angry right now. I’d be more surprised if there was nothing you were angry about right now. That being said being consistently angry for weeks, or more likely years if we’re being honest, isn’t the best for your health or well-being. Self-care is more important than ever if we’re building a resistance. Burnout is real, and harsh, and unyielding, and we don’t need that on top of everything else. Here’s some tips:

Read

I don’t mean politically-charged articles, either. Read something you truly enjoy and won’t negatively affect your emotions. “But I don’t have much time to read, I’m trying to undermine a regime!” You say. I get it. Listen to audiobooks in the car on the way from one protest to another. Or both, read and listen. I’m currently reading Tatiana de Rosnay’s Sarah’s Key but listening to Karan Mahajan’s The Association Of Small Bombs. Other great books include Patrick Ness’ A Monster Calls and Jodi Kantor’s The Obamas. This list of great books obviously has to include Tyler Oakley’s Binge, no bias included.

Watch a Movie

Again, not a political one. I’ve watched the Harry Potter series twice since inauguration day, which is exactly two week ago when I’m writing this. It’s nice to see a magical world where the evil character is ultimately defeated. Highly recommend. Anything will do, though. As long as it’s something you enjoy, it doesn’t matter if it’s 50 Shades of Grey or Paddington.

Have a Pamper Session

Take a bath, exfoliate, put on a mask, take a nap on the couch in your robe, whatever floats your boat. I, myself, am not much of a pamperer, I much prefer the book option. However, I’ve seen it work wonders for others and had to include it in my list of self-care.

Write It Out

Journal, write articles, write a research paper on your own volition, whatever strikes your fancy. Writing out your thoughts and feelings can be really cathartic. It’s no wonder we have kids write and draw to understand and learn feelings, so why shouldn’t us as grown adults be doing the same. Feelings get muddy, people. Write it out.

Talk to Friends

Sometimes talking to someone helps more than anything. Talking to friends often comes with added validation that you might not get talking to your wall, or your animal. “I just don’t know what to do, I’m so angry all the time.” Me too, friend, me too.

Don’t Talk to Friends

You have the right to remove yourself from any conversation you don’t want to be in any longer. Friends talking about nothing but the end of the USofA as we know it but you just want to talk about puppies? Leave the group chat, or mute it until you’re ready to discuss that discourse. You are allowed to walk away from things that aren’t good for you.

Sleep

You’re not going to get anywhere walking around like a zombie. You need to be getting a proper amount of sleep, people. Zombies can’t overthrow a government. This isn’t replaceable with copious amounts of caffeine, contrary to popular belief. You need the sleep.

Join a Group, Or Make One

I was just recently invited to join a group, one that I’m quite proud to be in. I didn’t ask permission to talk about it, so I won’t, but if you find a group you feel strongly about, join up. It can give you ways to stay involved you may never have known about. If you can’t find one you vibe with, make one. There are probably people who will want to join your group and who feel the same way you do.

Don’t Be So Hard On Yourself

It’s okay. You don’t have to be hard on yourself. You’re allowed to be happy or excited or in love or whatever you’re feeling. Let me repeat that. You’re allowed to be happy or excited or in love or whatever you’re feeling. You don’t have to constantly be upset, and it doesn’t make the times you’re upset or angry any less valid. You’re human, you can have a plethora of feelings. Infact, it’s encouraged.

But I also mean that it’s okay if you’re article is a little late. It’s okay if you’re running to class. It’s okay if you got a C on that quiz. It’s okay if you gained that weight, or lost it. You’re okay. We are in rough times, friend, don’t make it harder on yourself.

This doesn’t stop here, however. There are loads of things you can do to promote self-care in your life. Eat healthier, order pizza, drink more water, invest in your favorite tea, whatever it is that helps you. Just make sure prioritize it in these harsh times we’re in. Four years from now, you’ll be thanking yourself for it.

Stay safe, and sane, friends.