relationship balance, self-care, needs
relationships

How To Live Your Best Life With Your Significant Other

Discussion on whether to prioritize your self-care and self-happiness needs, even though you in a relationship with someone else who has needs too.

130
Naquan

I have read some research, as well as heard some stories, how two people in a relationship may not necessarily be living their life to the fullest. The phrase, "I am living my best life", is a saying to encourage people to seize the day as well as indulge in high levels of self-care. But some believe that it is difficult to do that, when you have to always factor in another person.

Everyone does not like the same things, so it is possible that you and your significant other may not want to live your best lives the same way. But should you?

I believe that we cannot rely on someone else to make us happy. We are responsible for our own happiness.

But the reality is that we are social creatures, and often want to share our happiness with others. So when forming serious committed relationships, we often compromise for the benefit of the relationship as a whole.

And we should do that, but we cannot lose our sense of self. We should not sacrifice our personal needs.

If your significant other cares for you as they say they do, they should want the best for you. Therefore, if they feel that they cannot completely help you live your best life, they should encourage you to seek out a sense of fulfillment.

Examples of things they should encourage you to do, can be to indulge in your hobbies more, take a solo vacation, and spend time with friends exclusively.

Now the point of all of this is not for two people in a relationship to distance themselves. The point is to maintain your identity while maintaining your relationship.

Do not let one completely overshadow the other. Both are extremely important.

And if you have kids as part of your unit, the same rules apply. Help them live their best lives too, but if it becomes detrimental to you, then you have to try a different tactic. If you cannot take care of yourself or make yourself happy, how can you take care of your kids and make them happy?

You cannot just expect for things to work out, you have to put effort into it. And though that may be difficult to do at times, you have to try. If you do not have the motivation to do it for yourself, think about those who care for you, like your significant other.

So layback sometimes, relax a bit, and be a bit self-indulgent. It will allow you to be the best version of yourself. And the great thing is that you have someone beside you who supports you to do just that.

So if you're single, living your best life may not be very difficult. But if you are in a relationship, living your best life should not be very difficult either, and you get the bonus of having someone who is supportive enough to remind you to live your best life in case you forget.

Carpe Diem!