3 Things To Focus On While You're Stuck In Quarantine In Order Stay Positive

2020 is probably nothing like any one of us imagined. The COVID-19 virus drastically changed life as we know it. The virus created circumstances where students had to take college courses online and were forced to move out of their dorms and back home. Many are unable to continue to work. But, despite all of these changes, it is a privilege to be able to step back and have a positive outlook. Social distancing and extra downtime might be a good thing. We have the opportunity to be comfortable in our homes and be afforded something that we have come to take for granted. Time. Time is something of value and something to be cherished. Time is something that we now have on our side to focus on personal growth. Take a moment to look on the bright side and consider what you do with your extra time:

1. Self-Care

With most of life's stressors including school and work, self-care goes on the back burner. Use this time to put your self-care front and center. Allow your hair to grow out healthy without having to worry about roots showing. Try a new hair color you always wanted to try but never did in fear that it wouldn't look good. Thanks to social distancing, not many will see it anyway! Take a break from wearing makeup, and focus on skin care. Try different workout regimes, and find one that fits your needs - you may even enjoy the commitment so much that it can be incorporated into your day-to-day once we get back to normalcy. Maybe even sort through your closet and find things that you want to keep or donate. Pull a Marie Kondo.

2. Hobbies

Having a busy life sometimes means that we don't get to spend time on the little things we love. Use this time to pick up your old hobbies or even try new ones. Some of my favorite ideas are knitting, journaling, cooking and baking, yoga, reading, gardening, painting, jewelry-making, scrap-booking, or even just catching up on shows or music you might have missed!

3. Relationships

Moving away to go to college sometimes means you lose touch with your high school friends and family. Use this time to realize the important relationships in your life. Find out who is making the time to keep in touch despite social distancing or contact your grandparents and the older people in your life to see how they are doing. Maybe even reconnect with your friends from high school who you haven't been able to see since you started college!

Anytime life throws you challenges, you need to be able to face them. Part of facing them is by trying to find the positive spin on the situation. Stay positive, stay healthy!