Signs You Should Seek Professional Help After A Breakup

Not Sure If Your Breakup Is Seriously Weighing You Down? Take This Quiz To Help You Decide If You Need An Extra Hand

Breakups can trigger depression and it is important to be aware of and recognize whether or not your breakup symptoms are healthy or unhealthy.

18
https://unsplash.com/photos/l2NRQNkQ2Qk

Breakups are hard. Breakups ruthlessly leave you feeling abandoned, empty and alone. Everybody copes with breakups differently. Some people accept it and move on quickly, while others take time to grieve. Unfortunately, breakups can trigger depression and it is important to be aware of and recognize whether or not your breakup symptoms are healthy or unhealthy.

If you have experienced depression before or have been diagnosed with a mood disorder or mental illness in the past you could be more susceptible to depression after a breakup. If you recently moved, lost a job or lost a loved one those factors may also contribute to depression after a breakup.

It's OK to be sad after a breakup. It's OK to take time to move on. But if your day to day life is beginning to be negatively affected and you feel worthless and are overwhelmed with feelings of hopelessness, you may be experiencing something more than just heartbreak.

Take this quiz to help determine if you should reach out for some extra help during your breakup:

If you are in crisis, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or the Suicide Crisis Line at 1-800-784-2433.