How To Seek God Out Just As David Once Did

It's not wrong to feel bitter or depressed or discouraged.

16
pexels

Many books of the Bible are written in poetry. The passages of Psalms are often relatable to us as David pours out his heart before God. We sense his pure and raw emotion as he cries out to God Almighty. We realize that sometimes David felt broken and hopeless too, that life isn't meant to be easy, but that like David, our trust in the Lord should not falter because He continually walks with us.

However, when it feels like God is far from us, it's often easier for us to run from Him, to seek solace in worldly things, to numb feelings of hurt and anger.

During these times of confusion and heartache, I encourage you to read God's Holy Letter to you—the Bible. As you read through the Bible, you'll notice something. The people who are featured in it struggled—a lot.

Sometimes we have a skewed perception of what Christianity is supposed to look like. We think that we have to have it all together all the time, so we begin to look to ourselves to create this guise—instead of looking to Christ for strength. However, the featured individuals that God chose to write about, well, they're definitely less than perfect—and if we're being honest with ourselves, we are too.

When it comes down to it, we can't hide anything from God. If we're not living for God, He knows. If there's sin in our hearts, He knows. If we are angry and bitter and filled with sorrow, He knows. Even if those around us are fooled, God knows our hearts.

It's not wrong to feel bitter or depressed or discouraged. In fact, there are several accounts of these emotions captured within the pages of Scripture.

Take David for example in Psalm 69:

"Save me, O God,
for the waters have come up to my neck.
2 I sink in the miry depths,
where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
the floods engulf me.
3 I am worn out calling for help;
my throat is parched.
My eyes fail,
looking for my God.
4 Those who hate me without reason
outnumber the hairs of my head;
many are my enemies without cause,
those who seek to destroy me.
I am forced to restore
what I did not steal.
5 You, God, know my folly;
my guilt is not hidden from you."

Wow. Have you ever felt like you were "sink[ing] in the miry depths?" I have. What about feeling as though those who hate you or don't like you are more than the "hairs on your head?" Yes, again. Instead of hiding these feelings or allowing them to consume his life, David brings them to the feet of God. He surrenders his cumbersome burdens, he seeks refuge in the Lord, and he knows that God is enough—that his strength comes only from the God he serves.

Pour over the Scriptures when you are discouraged. Seek God's guidance when you find that you're walking in your own strength instead of His. Write poetry to Him. Sing praises to the One who loves you so much that He gave His life for you. Rejoice in the Creator who lives victoriously and wants you to do the same. Be encouraged. Be uplifted. Be steadfast in His love and grace.

"In view of all this, what can we say? If God is for us, who can be against us?" ~Romans 8:31