Seeking Financial Freedom

Seeking Financial Freedom

Be intentional about your money and take the steps to become debt free!

14
Seeking Financial Freedom
The Suite World

Seeking financial freedom is so important no matter what stage of life you are in. If you are a Christian it is biblical and we are called to be debt-free. If you are a husband or wife, it is healthy for marriages to be financially stable. If you are a college student, you are most likely in debt already and are broke- double bonus! If you are a fresh college graduate, you are most likely drowning in school debt, working full time making no money, working a thousand jobs, attending grad school, paying for everything yourself and still broke! If you are an adult and struggling with debt, you need to be intentional too! This discussion is for everyone of all walks of life, stages and ages. There will always be something to pay for: graduate school, new clothes, children, utilities, marriage, retirement and sick dogs. Just because there is always something to pay for does not mean we should be locked and drowned in debt! We are called to be intentional about our money, being good stewards and controlling our money. Most people don’t realize their money is controlling them- keep an eye out and observe people around you when it comes to their money and their lives!

Some beginner steps to achieve a debt- free life:

1. Have a savings account! If you don’t have one – create one. If you have one and don’t use it- start using it! If you save already- good job!

2. Begin by saving $100, this might mean cutting out fast food or that small target shopping trip you catch yourself doing weekly. This could mean cutting out those hobby lobby trips or cutting out the soda you get daily from the gas station.

3. After you have $100 saved up, be proud of yourself! A portion of society does not have $100 in their bank account on a consistent basis.

4. Now, save $500 in your savings! This is so important because it will become beneficial when unexpected life events that come up! This small but huge step can cover a flat tire, broken windshield, speeding ticket or spare groceries for an upcoming holiday.

5. Wow you are doing great! Now save $1,000! By now you have most likely (hopefully) changed your spending habits in some form or way! You are now realizing the importance of a savings account and preparing yourself to live in control of your money! You soon will have the freedom to tell your money where it goes, instead of it telling you where to go.

6. Now that you have $1,000 saved up, continue to add a portion of your paycheck to your savings account- being intentional. You may now start paying down your debt! Having this large sum of money in savings ensures that you have some extra money in case you were to loose your job you could still pay some bills, if your child goes to the ER, if you suddenly have to travel for a sick family member or anything else life throws your way!

7. Start paying down your debt intentionally and quick! This means setting up a budget and ensuring a portion of your paycheck is going to debt! Start with the bills that have the highest interest rate or if you have been sent to collections-pay those off first! Keep an eye on your credit score! After ensuring a portion of your paycheck is being used towards debt every month, put any extra money towards debt! If you were under budget one month for food and only spent $25 instead of $75, use the extra $50 to pay off your high interest debt!

8. Be intentional with your spending, develop a budget, and use resources that can help guide you. Follow through with your budget- make your friends and family around you aware that you are budgeting and may not be able to go out as often and think of creative cheap ways to still have relationships and friendships but in an affordable way! Offer to cook dinner instead of going out, limit the shopping trips and suggest going to the park or going to a $1 movie! There are resources out there, use them!

9. Download a budgeting app and hold yourself accountable. It takes 22 days to break a habit? You can do it, learn discipline, and be accountable! I personally use the app Mint and it is great! I have my credit card and bank account connected to the app so it allows me to create a budget and will yell at me if I go over. When I eat too many times at chickfila and go over my dining budget it will text me notifying I went over and how to solve the problem next time!

10. Look for ways to cut down! Pay attention to where your money goes because the little dollars add up! Each tip, each ice cream, each coffee, each shopping trip adds up greatly over time and can save you a lot of money and heartache in the long run.

11. DON’T take years to pay off your debt! Becoming debt free as soon as possible is the goal here. I never understood why people take 30 years to pay off debt but in the process they go on 14 vacations, have a TV in each room in their house, eat out nightly and have timeshares or multiple houses! Be responsible, take control of your money, and pay down the debt as soon as possible! I know many people who have paid their debt off in a year!

12. I would recommend researching Dave Ramsey and many other financial peace advisers and looking for more guidance if needed. Seeking financial freedom is the best thing you can do for yourself! Knowing you are not tied down to anyone or any object, but you are free from monetary bondage is amazing!

-Good luck and happy saving!