The Secrets, Scandals And Scariness Of The 2016 Olympics

If I love the Olympics so much, why am I not more excited?

21

Can you imagine being the best at something? Like, best in the country, best in the world? I don’t find it relatable in the least. I have never been the best at anything anywhere except maybe saying the alphabet backwards. While usually the successes of others gets me all introspective over my lack of measurable talent, I love the Olympics. I also love drama. So this year should be the jackpot for me, but somehow, it isn’t. So here is a complete guide to all the conspiracy theories, political or social injustices, and otherwise craziness (that I have heard, at least) concerning the upcoming games.

The suspicions started early on when Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, was picked to be the spot of the 2016 Olympics. Personally, I was pulling for somewhere the United States, but I am biased. News broke that FIFA hosted bribes for the World Cup, which led to well-supported suspicion that Brazil paid up for that. It is not a far jump that leads people to believe that there, again, was money under the table to host the 2016 Summer Olympics. However, as countries often don’t even want to host the Olympics so much because of costs and additional problems, that theory fizzles out. Originally budgeting $14 billion for construction and preparation, Brazil ended up spending $20 billion. A measly extra $6 billion that may have gone to contract bribes. Grand stadiums are literally being built in the middle of shanty towns. The residents are being kicked out of their homes to make way for the Olympics. People needing to find new schools, new jobs, new connections as the government hopes to rekindle the economy, which doesn’t appear it will succeed.

The biggest issue with Rio currently is their failure to follow through on some of the conditions of their host-hood. I made that word up, but I like it. One of these broken promises was to clean up the bay. This isn’t cute little pollution like a candy wrapper on the road; this is endangers-people pollution. If an athlete goes into the water infested with raw sewage, they will likely get sick. Even athletes just on the water, not fully submerged, risk serious exposure and illness. Not cute little cold sick; violently ill sick from drug-resistant bacteria. If you are wondering how these 1,400 sailers, open-water swimmers, canoers, and rowers are supposed to practice, they aren’t. Those still competing will likely just have to compete.

Even out-of-water athletes are not without danger as the Zika virus is becoming more of a threat in Brazil. Many athletes from the United States, especially male athletes who already have prominent careers, are opting out of their competitions out of concern for their families. And since the CDC is advising women who are pregnant or those who plan to become pregnant against traveling to Rio, why are so many women and men who plan to start families still going? Many simply cannot afford to not compete, whether the risk be financial or career-wise. Which is an awful choice for a person to have to make.

Russia takes home the cake for exposed corruption for their perfect cocktail of blackmail, bribery, and extortion. You see, what happened was Russia drugged everyone. In Sochi, the Russians had a secret doping test lab which swapped out the urine samples for clean ones, which was exposed to the World Anti Doping Agency by Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov who was the doctor in charge of the scandal. Real "Gossip Girl" stuff right there. There was also a couple who blew the whistle when Yulia Stepanova was told she had to do drugs to be on the national team. A poorly timed drug-test showed she had been taking illegal substances. This banned her from competion, which led her and her husband Vitaly Stepanova, who worked for RUSADA (Russian Anti-Doping), to record the coaches making a plan to get Yulia back on the enhancement drugs. It gets better. They fled the country so they could expose Russia to WADA. Once exposed, the IOC banned Russia from the Olympics entirely. Even the Paralympics because yes, also being drugged. WADA wants everyone banned, but eventually, the punishment was changed, but it’s a little sketchy sketch. Yulia and many, many other athletes are not allowed to compete because they did test positive for drugs, but some people who used drugs and everyone knows are allowed to compete as they never officially tested positive. Even though that’s just because their urine was switched. A lot of athletes are still awaiting their judgment, but Russian Weightlifting is so out.

Some fun and corrupt tidbits I don’t have any other place for: In the torch’s traveling ceremonies, it has been extinguished (some say stolen). The jaguar used in the traveling ceremonies was shot directly after.

It’s likely the Olympics have always been corrupt and I am just now old enough to appreciate that fact. Understanding harsh truths seems to be one of the biggest blessings and curses that comes with age. I still love the Olympics. I will still root for the U.S.A till the cows come home. But it’ll be in a more bittersweet fashion this year. To those competing, best of luck. To those who opted out, we understand.

Disclaimer: Some of the things said are true and proven while others written about are not proven facts, just ideas or hunches people have voiced.