The Secret To Saving This Summer

The Secret To Saving This Summer

Save the money you earn this summer for next school year.

9
The Secret To Saving This Summer
Unsplash

Summer is the time of music festivals, local events, and outdoor markets. Here’s some money saving tips for how to make this summer the best one yet, without breaking the bank.

The first step is to think about what you spend the most money on in the summer. Is it clothes, experiences or food from going on lunch dates to catch up with friends from home? Whichever of these it is for you, think about it going into summer and be mindful of what you buy.

If you value being trendy, save by shopping at secondhand stores -- fashion is cyclical, so odds are that something someone else threw out will be right up your alley. You could also create an email account that is solely for shopping discounts. It’s nice because you won’t be tempted regularly, but when you need something, you can check that email to see if you have any recent discounts for what you’re looking for.

If you plan on attending music festivals, apply to be a volunteer, where you volunteer for a few shifts and get a free pass for the rest of the weekend. One of the options for some festivals is to be a recycling volunteer, which allows you to walk around and listen to performances while you volunteer. Many festivals allow you to choose which performances are most important to you and will allow you to not work during these to ensure it’s a good experience for you.

Another tip is to check Facebook for events happening near you. A lot of times there are free events promoting new companies or just fun free concerts happening around town. For example, every summer there are free concerts on Friday nights at Fountain Square in Cincinnati. Check out this year’s lineup!

If you’re a foodie and you spend most of your money on lunch or dinner dates with friends, try inviting friends over for a meal at your house. You could learn how to make a new dish and make memories with your friends while doing so! You could also have a potluck in a park where everyone brings something and lay out a blanket on the grass, and depending on the park you could have a beautiful view of your city! Another option is to download Yelp and find deals on there!

If you like kids, make a little extra money on the side by babysitting on the weekends or whenever you’re free! If you like to make things, try to sell some of your creations at local coffee shops if they allow local vendors or flea markets. Cincinnati has the City Flea, where local vendors can apply to sell their crafts at a huge event once a month. People from all over the city come to enjoy the camaraderie and beautiful items for sale.

Be aware of what you spend the most money on and look for discounts in that arena. This practice can only benefit you. Remember, the more you save this summer, the more you’ll have for next school year! It’s difficult in the moment, but you’ll have a better year if you have a little extra cushion.