As an incoming freshman during first semester, I was excited to go through sorority rush — even though I wasn't quite sure what it was all about. None of my close family members had been involved in a fraternity or sorority, so I wasn't too familiar with the process or anything like that. However, it seemed like many students at Miami were involved in Greek life, and it looked like something fun I would like to be involved in too. As the semester went on, I learned a little bit more about the actual process and signed up for rush along with my three other roommates.

Looking back now as a sophomore who went through rush, I know it can be a stressful and extremely busy time, especially with the start of classes happening as well. It can also be difficult to decide whether or not to participate. I will say that it is a pretty large time commitment during the two weeks of rounds. However, it can turn out to be worth it in the end. The best part about rush isn't necessarily getting into the "best" Greek organization, it's about finding people who you feel comfortable around and who enjoy your company.

After shopping for all of my rush outfits over winter break, I arrived back at school for the start of second semester and the start of rush. My three roommates and I all had a very different experience with rush. One of them went to the introduction to rush and afterward decided that it wasn't quite for her, so she didn't even end up going through the rounds at all. Another one of my roommates went through the first round (also known as "Welcome Round") and dropped from the rushing process after. That left me and my last roommate, Cami, to complete the rest of the rounds on our own.

As the second weekend approached, Cami and I were pretty nervous but having a good time getting to know a lot of different girls and what each sorority was about. We even ended up becoming really good friends with a couple girls who lived in our hall. When we finally finished getting to know all of the sororities and narrowing down our choices, we got to take a bid. Cami and I ended up in different sororities, having extremely different experiences, but still remain close friends a year later.

Although rush can seem extremely stressful and even scary, the best part about it is meeting new people. Through this process, I made friends with girls in my sorority as well as girls who are a part of Greek life in general. The whole point of going through rush is to meet people who you connect with, whether they're in the same "group" as you or not. Although I wasn't sure if being in a sorority was my "thing," I'm glad I tried it out because I've gained so many worthwhile experiences as well as the opportunity for new friendships.

My biggest advice when deciding to go through or going through rush is to not give up. It's easy to get caught up in the stereotypes of Greek life and worry about if you'll fit in or not, but in reality, there's a place for everyone. However, if in the end, you decide it's not your cup of tea, there's no judgment in walking away.