6 Second-Hand Clothes Stores To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint

6 Second-Hand Clothing Stores Anyone Trying To Reduce Their Carbon Footprint Should Know

Shopping these places are a simple and underestimated way to help our planet.

49

Sustainability: A word that is thrown around often enough for people to completely discredit its importance and disregard their need to lower their carbon footprint (a measure of how much carbon is needed to sustain a daily lifestyle).

One large and highly undisclosed contributor to the average person's carbon footprint is, believe it or not, a person's style habits! It sounds silly, but according to National Geographic, one T-shirt alone requires 2,700 liters of water to be created and manufactured.

A simple solution to lower the amount of manufacturing needed to produce clothing is to simply reuse the clothes! Through second-hand shopping, you decrease the need for large corporations to spend billions of dollars a year manufacturing clothes.

Limited manufacturing means reduced use of factories and a lesser amount of carbon dioxide being released into the atmosphere. That is why below I have listed 6 accessible companies that are diverse in merchandise that fit everyone's specific clothing wants and needs.

Goodwill

Goodwill

Now I know Goodwill seems obvious and over discussed, but seriously! Goodwill is a great (and international) option for shopping at second hand stores. They may not be as focused on style for more hip audiences.

They tend to be more focused on giving clothes to those in need, but Goodwill is still one of the cheapest options available.

In addition to that, Goodwill gives you a chance to get creative with your sewing skills on any potential clothing you do find!

Poshmark

@poshmark

While Poshmark is slightly more expensive than Goodwill, you are guaranteed better quality of clothing. Poshmark is an online store, so finding clothes when they are already organized by gender, size, color, and price, makes shopping much easier than when in an actual store.

At Poshmark, there is an incredibly broad range in options. Whether you are looking for a cheaper option for a prom dress or a fishing vest for an outdoor excursion, Poshmark is sure to have it.

Depop

Depop

If you are someone looking for a more stylish option to online shopping, Depop is a promising candidate. Depop is focused on targeting younger audiences who have an affinity for street-style.

While prices are still higher than at Goodwill, Depop has an incredible amount of sellers and the website updates with new offers every minute, so you are guaranteed to find exactly what you are looking for.

Plus, the prices for items sold on Depop are always sold for cheaper than the original brand item, so it's a win for you and the environment!

The RealReal

The Real Real

Before you consider shopping at The RealReal, you have to know that it is extremely expensive (the average cost of clothes being $100-200).

However, this is only because this company is focused on selling luxury brand items. If you are anything like my mom and are obsessed with wearing high end brands, The RealReal has exactly what you need.

This company is extremely diverse in its merchandise, selling an array men's; women's; children's clothing, jewelry, purses, and any other luxury item you could ever want.

The most brilliant part is, despite the high cost, The RealReal resells most of these used items at more than half its original price, so you can save hundreds of dollars literally.

Plato's Closet

https://www.platoscloset.com

Plato's Closet is dedicated to helping the environment through recycling clothing, as you can see in the picture. This store is for those teenagers who are into buying the trendiest clothes at the moment for a cheaper price than the original.

This store is the equivalent to Goodwill in most regards, except that it mainly targets teenage shoppers.

Like Goodwill, Plato's Closet offers in-store shopping across the United States at a very small price. In addition to buying, you may also sell your clothes even though you will not get spectacular compensation.

ASOS Marketplace

Asos

ASOS Marketplace is an online thrift store that focuses on selling stylish, vintage clothing for both teenagers and adults. While it may not be the cheapest way to buy second-hand clothing, just like any other second-hand clothing store, clothes are sold much cheaper than originally and in just as good shape.

ASOS Marketplace guarantees to have everything you're looking for with their constantly updating platform on clothes following all of the latest trends. They sell everything from brand name items to general merchandise store clothing, so it is guaranteed to suit anyone's budget.

And with their international shipping, you are not limited to the country you can order from!