Entering My Second Act
Education

Entering My Second Act

Realizing I can still become that thing I always wanted to be.

93
Entering My Second Act

Tonight, I was watching the five o'clock news, and there was a segment on new tv shows that the network will be releasing for the fall. One that caught my eye was called "Carol's Second Act." A woman named Carol has recently become an empty nester, a divorcee, and has retired from her teaching career. Embarking on her 50's she decides to finally achieve her dream of…being a doctor. This character has decided that it's not too late, and it made me wonder if the same applied to me.

I had done the college thing, and my career was split between being an administrative assistant and a medical assistant (yep, totally didn't get a BA to do either of those things). After that, I became a stay at home mom to my three boys. As they're getting older, I am finding that maybe it's time for me to figure out what my "second act" will be.

During my stint as a college student, I had no clue as to what I really wanted to do with myself. My main goal was to finish college. So, wherever most of my credits fell, that would be my major. Thanks to my degree audit (that's what it's called, right? It's been a while for me), it was determined that I was to become an English Language Arts major aka Liberal Arts Degree. As part of my degree requirements, there were several English classes I needed to take, one of which was a creative writing class. I hadn't written anything creative since high school. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I think it was a career choice at that time? Nope. My parents were pushing me towards a "real" job. Some acceptable choices were police officer, nurse, or anything that required a civil service exam. The writing courses at school became something to bring me closer to attaining that beloved Bachelor of Arts.

Years went by, and I wound up in a writing class at the local library. I took the class on a whim, thinking nothing of it. It was in that small class that I was reminded that I have the capacity to tell a story. I had people that were just getting to know me tell me that I have some potential. Then came a class at the community college. Again, I am validated as a writer. Writing was becoming less of a hobby and becoming something that I wanted to do full time. I knew it was time to pursue the one thing that I've always wanted to do: become a writer.

Yes, a lot of people emit those words, and I am glad to be among them. But I am finally confident enough to throw my hat into the ring and begin my own second act. I may not be the same age as Carol, but I am reaching a milestone age that leads most people to reflect on where the next part of their life is heading. Mine is leading me towards writing. Will I hit it big? I sure hope so. But, if I don't, I will still be happy with the fact that I went for it. However, my second act will end, I will be satisfied knowing that I did not give up on my dream.