7 Reasons Why Seattle, Washington Is One Of The Most Incredible Places In The U.S.

Even though it took moving 530 miles away for me to realize it

103

When you think “Seattle”, what usually comes to mind? If you answered rain, coffee, 50 Shades of Grey, or Grey’s Anatomy then you are not alone. Most of the people who have never been to Seattle immediately wander to these sort of thoughts, and there’s nothing wrong with that since all of them are in fact found in Seattle. If you answered “that pointy building that people seem to really like”, then yes, you are also correct.

While these are some things Seattle is infamous for, there’s a lot more than meets the eye to the city and to Washington State in general. Here are some of my absolute favorite things about my state:

1. The Hiking

Didn’t expect that one to come first, did ya? In spite of popular belief, Washington is actually one of the best states for hiking. I’m a huge fan of hiking myself, and my best friend and I will conquer anything from easy 4 mile strolls to painful 8,000 foot summits. The greatest thing about Washington is that these are only the beginning. You can always go higher, trek further, and discover something new. Every time we begin our quest onto a new mountain, usually about halfway up we start to kick ourselves and ask why we made each other do it. But once we get to the top and we see the view waiting for us, every single second of pain becomes worth it.

2. Pike’s Place Market and the Seattle Waterfront

I’m sure most of you out there have heard of Pike’s Place Market. You know, the one where they throw fish at you and there’s a giant wall that people feel inclined to put their gum on? It’s actually one of my favorite places to go, especially on a hot summer day because of the history, art, and cute little shops. Most of the stands are family-owned and have been there for generations. If you can just set aside a moment to sit and chat with one of the merchants, it’s amazing the stories you hear. If you wander into any of the shops, whether it be the Vinyl shop downstairs, the frequent portrait and canvas shops, or even the cultural shops down past the donuts. Pike’s Place is one of the most incredible places to really step back and appreciate the beauty that can be found in a big city.

Also the waterfront because who doesn’t love a great ocean view and a giant Ferris wheel that overlooks the city?

3. The adventures it has offered me

If you look hard enough, you can find all kinds of cool things to do around the state. It’s hard to get bored when a drive-in movie theatre, indoor sky diving facility (although I haven’t actually tried this one yet), interactive science center, and all sorts of things like this are just a drive away.

4. Sports, obviously.

I know you were reading along just waiting for me to throw out a “Go Hawks” or “Go Mariners” (and of course, Go Sounders for the rest of my soccer fans out there) so here it is J. I’m not going to rant about how I think the Seahawks are the best football team to ever exist or how Kyle Seager is the single-handed greatest thing to ever happen to baseball (even though I really do love him), but rather I’m just going to share some of the reasons that Seattle sporting events are like no other.

Here’s a picture I took at a Kenny Chesney concert at Century Link Field, where the Seahawks and Sounders both play. My absolute favorite thing about Century Link is the environment. How many arenas can say that they have a view of the waterfront on one end (not pictured because iPhone quality), the city skyline on the other (left), and some of the most passionate fans filling up every single seat? And I’m not just talking about football here people. Ever heard of the Emerald City Sound? No? Well you may not have heard of them, but if you’ve ever been to a Sounders game you’ve definitely heard them.

Or Safeco Field, where you get a complete panorama of every nook and cranny of the city.

5. Alki Beach

Any Washingtonian knows Alki Beach. However, most tourists don’t. People don’t usually associate Seattle with sandy beaches and enormous sand volleyball tournaments, but we actually have those too.

6. Food

I could rant for hours about the food in Seattle. If you like food as much as I do, then Washington is a great place for you. Homemade ice cream on the Alki Beach board walk? Heck yeah. A freshly made dozen of doughy (and obviously very healthy) donuts at Pike’s Place? Of course. Delicious cheese or mac n’ cheese that you can watch being made at Beecher’s? Can’t say no. And for my healthy readers out there, Washington is also known for its apples, grapes, and of course, wine.

And yes, Starbucks. Everywhere you turn. Don’t ever worry about being able to find a close by store to get your daily caffeine fix, the Seattle founded company has locations at seemingly every street corner in the state.

7. The Diversity

One of the things that I absolutely love most about Washington State is the fact that it is so diverse. Not necessarily the people, although they are also very diverse, but more the atmosphere. If you want advanced technology and big cities, you can find it. If you want small, rural towns with a more country feel, we have those too. If you love hiking and the great outdoors like me, we definitely can be the state for you. If you like beaches, desert climates, waterfronts, lakes, rivers, or anything in between, I guarantee you can find it in Washington.

Of course there are infinite things I love about where I grew up. Obviously I’m biased, but if you don’t believe me… I recommend you go there and explore for yourself. For now, I guess you’ll just have to take my word for it.