Hey Idiot Hookers, It's Season 2 Of Scream Queens

What Fresh Hell Is This? Unpacking the many absurdities and getting down to the bottom of why it's so great.

247
Bustle

What is it about Scream Queens that makes it so red-devilishy fabulous? It’s honestly hard to tell. The show is so absurd in parts that it left fans worried that it wouldn’t get a second season. And yet, Season two is back and better than ever with season two’s opener “Scream Again,” the highest rated episode the show has ever had. This might be because the precious quirks that make the show what it is have already been ironed out in season one, leaving season two free to focus more on its plot.

The cast has remained mostly intact besides the main character Grace from season one (not that anyone misses her or her paperboy hats anyways.) The ultimate group of sassy bitches, the Chanels, phony face of feminism Dean Munsch and the shows only moral compass Zayday Williams are all back along with hilariously moronic Dicky Dollar Scholar Chad Radwell. The new additions to the show, John Stamos, Kirstie Allie and Taylor Lautner, delight as well, adding a new layer of comedy.

It's main and greatest themes have flowed over into season two. These are its relevancy, horror-comedy genre and it's quirky high fashion.

The premier laid relevance on thick from beginning to end with 2016 details — down to specific Snapchat filter date — with some so current I'm convinced they were added in closer to the air date. Dean Munsch references two current scandals, mentioning the Zika virus, and claiming to have gotten the honorary doctorate they stripped from Bill Cosby. The Chanels have relevancy worked into their plot line by getting a true crime docu-series about them on Netflix (making a murderer anyone) as well as mentioning HBO Go and Tinder profile pictures. The show is clearly in the here and now of American culture, leaving them free to explore and expose many themes relevant in today's society. Last season it was that collegiate greek life is evil and today they seem to be making a statement about medical malpractice and the assumption that “With the internet anyone can be an MD” The show never shies away from a hot controversy and both seasons make hyperbolic statements about the ignorance of the incredibly wealthy, the evil oligarchy that is a girl group and America’s sick and twisted way of finding horrifying things incredibly sexy, not unlike it's own theme.

Recently horror on television has made a name for itself, but horror comedy is a bit of a strange breed. Horror and hilarity meet in the middle on the set of Scream Queens. The show has you laughing at a slick one-liner and then holding your breath as a character creeps through a dark hallway. One second you’re processing an obscure reference and the next you're watching someone's head get chopped off. The juxtaposition and variety of emotions somehow give the show a depth that keeps viewers oddly fascinated. From the dawn of time humans have been drawn to strangeness. When you combine strangeness with beauty and comedy like Scream Queens does, you wind up with a winning combination.

And finally adding to the confusing and fabulous, the show's unique brand of fashion is something to awe over. Scrubs in varying shades of baby pink, fluffy heels, nurse hats with rhinestone lettering: the Chanels have hit the hospital scene. Despite the girls going broke this season, their Chanel inspired wardrobe is better than ever, with the same lusciousness of detail as in season one. Furry coats in pale pastel colors, tiaras, cat ears, pearl everything, elegant gloves, and of course matching ear muffs on Number Three, all dazzle from scene to scene making these twisted bitches into style icons. Yes, somebody's going to get axe-murdered or sliced into pieces by a rampant serial killer but they're going to look young, pretty skinny and dressed in thousand-dollar couture. Plus they'll probably wind up in a baby pink casket like Chanel Number Two did in season one. R.I.P.

Like I said, season two didn't disappoint. Let's unpack some of this episodes goodness.

(Spoilers ahead)

In the spirit of theme continuity, the episode starts with going back in time to an awful occurrence from the past. Rather this time, it goes back to 1985 instead of 1995, leading viewers to believe they'll be some 80's era undertones. The scene incorporates two classic scary movie themes, a mal-practicing hospital appropriately named "My Lady of Perpetual Suffering" and a radioactive pond with the legend of a monster lurking in the shadows: The Green Meanie. It starts on Halloween night where a frantic pregnant woman drags two doctors away from the party. Not wanting to leave the fun behind, they push the patient into the swamp, claiming that his body will dissolve in a matter of days. They throw their costumes on top his body, a green silk cape and a green devil mask, setting the scene for the same elaborate outfit and mask combo that made the Red Devil of last season a memorable villain. The wife and baby are sure to make a comeback later in the season, not unlike the mystery that unfolded in season one. Who is the baby going to grow up to be? The killer like in season one?

Years later it becomes the CURE hospital. John Stamos and Taylor Lautner, play Doctor Brock Holt and Doctor Cassidy Cascade, giving the show a multi-generational heartthrob sensation because what's the point of a hospital show without a cast of sexy doctors? The doctors, however, gorgeous, show no indication of being normal characters this season. Dr. Holt is a genius surgeon, credited with "separating the Hemsworth brothers" and is also the patient of the first successful full hand transplant. He lost his hand in a Superbowl accident —excuse me, super bowl party accident — where he gruesomely, accidentally, got it stuck down a garbage disposal. As if that weren't enough to add a level of creepy, there were multiple suggestions throughout the episode that it has a mind of its own. Because everyone wants to be operated on by a dead zombie hand.

Dr. Cascade is also adorably weird, with monotone expressions and icy-cold skin, declaring in a hilarious monotone, “I find that often times silence is the only appropriate response to the gaping expanse of emptiness that stretches out before each and every one of us.” If he’s not a ghost or a vampire then he’s simply a twisted character devoid of human feeling, making him a perfect creepy counterpart for daughter of Charles Manson, Chanel No. 3.

Then enters Hairy Mary, who probably had a real name that wasn't as catchy and is CUREs first patient. She has a chromosomal disease that leaves her covered from head to toe in long, thick hair. Munsch picks up fire cracker from season one, Zayday Williams and wants to pay her way through medical school for “deep-seated personal reasons.” Nothing going on at all there. Seems like Munsch will continue to be a suspect and antagonist in the upcoming season.

The Chanels are out of the insane asylum due to the fact that Hester confessed to committing the murders while under the impression that double jeopardy had her safe. Though the Chanels are free their life is hardly back to normal. America hates them for being the horrible people that they so blissfully are and they're in the need of some serious image improvement. Tying back to the medical theme they begin jobs to help give back, after getting their "easy and worthless" communication degrees. Number five works at a dentist's office, presumably to get free braces for her vagina teeth. Number three works at a sperm bank… As a janitor… Yeah.

And Chanel becomes a certified phlebotomist, appealing to her not-so-shocking obsession with needles and blood.

Munsch offers to save them from their hell and put them through her medical school, which they reluctantly take her up on, as they're tired of their poor pathetic lives and are under the impression that they'll be immediately receiving "doctor salaries." The Chanels get started shadowing Zayday and the other doctors, sparking a hilarious debate about what “ghosting” is. Is it standing there quietly, is it when a guy finally sees your face and never texts you back, is it doing a #2 and it disappearing or is it leaving a party without telling anyone?

After meeting CUREs intimidating head nurse, having the epiphany that they’ll become TV doctors, and miraculously thinking of a cure for Hairy Mary and changing her from looking like a Sasquatch to a giant baby, and giving her bald head a makeover, Chanel and Number three leave for a night out with hot doctors and leave Number five alone to cover the night shift.

In classic Scream Queens slasher move, the episode ends No. 5 and no longer-hairy Mary trapped in simmering hot aromatherapy baths as the Mean Greenie sneaks in, plays some 80’s music, and pulls back the curtain revealing a sharp machete and eliciting screams, all the while oozing green glowing slime. Not unlike last season's premier episode where deaf Taylor Swift gets her head lawn-mowered off, Hairy Mary's head gets sliced clean off landing before Number five who screams bloody murder as the episode comes to a close, leaving us to wonder if she's met her sad demise and what will happen in the next episode.