The 2018 Seattle Seahawks Season is Finished

The Seahawks' Unlikely 2018 Season Is Over, The Offseason Awaits

The offseason is next.

15

Nobody thought that the Seattle Seahawks would make the postseason in the 2018 NFL season. Many analysts and experts had them going 8-8 and even 4-12. Instead, they claimed the No. 5 seed in the NFC playoffs with a 10-6 record. They could not escape the shadow of the 13-3 Los Angeles Rams, who look to conquer the NFC West for years to come. However, few expected Seattle to return to the playoffs after losing several key players to trades and free agency, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. The Seahawks received assistance from young players who are still developing, as well as the best running game in the NFL and a superb quarterback in Russell Wilson, who is currently in the prime of his career at 30 years old. Their defense noticeably became weaker, but they still stepped up when they were needed.

However, the Seahawks' 24-22 Wild Card Round loss to the Dallas Cowboys eliminated them from the postseason immediately. Many fans and analysts were outraged at offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's play calling and head coach Pete Carroll's game plan to persistently run the ball down the middle against one of the best defensive fronts in the league. Even when the running game did not work and the passing game showed promise, Carroll and Schottenheimer refused to adapt. The Cowboys may have made a surprising turnaround since starting their season off at 3-5 by finishing 10-6, but many felt that the coaching staff did not show enough confidence in Wilson, who had the best season of his career and was a huge part of their success this year.

Dallas was credited with stopping the No. 1 rushing attack in the NFL and carving through the Seattle defense with panache, with their quarterback Dak Prescott, in particular, making key plays down the stretch. Unfortunately for the Seahawks, their coaches did not put the ball in Russell Wilson's hands enough, and it cost them dearly. The 2019 offseason awaits.