To A Senior, From A Senior: I Want To Graduate Just As Much As You Do

The end is near, but then what?

31
Angela Yang

There are less than two months left until graduation. By the time this article is published, nearly all of us will have received final college decisions. The next milestone awaiting us before graduation looms in the distance — National Decision Day.

For some of us, the decision we make on this day will play a role in defining our paths for the next four years. For others, we made this decision long ago, last year even, and we have surrendered to the inevitable — senioritis.

But for all of us, college is a goal that we have consciously, or maybe unconsciously, worked towards for over a decade. Things will never be the same again. Slightly over dramatic, but completely true.

For me, it's been 13 years at the same school. An incredible amount has changed over those years, and that in itself is an understatement. My school has since built new facilities, new teachers and students have become part of the school while others have left, and the jungle gym I used to dangle off of as a six-year-old has been utterly revamped. But that's just my school we're talking about.

I guess you could say I've also undergone the cliché high schooler transformation. Grew out of my shell, pursued my passions, fought through petty drama, dumped toxic friends — you know, the good stuff.

Like many others, I just want to graduate from high school... and go on to more school... and maybe even more school after that! Makes sense, right?

"Let me out of here already. I am so done!"

Words commonly heard on any senior hallway. Words that strongly echo the senioritis sentiment.

I've read so many articles that encourage us seniors to treasure our last days strutting the high school halls or to stop wishing for graduation to come so soon. I agree. High school — my teachers, friends, extracurriculars, school dances — it all has been a gift.

If I could pack all these amazing memories into my suitcase, I would not hesitate. However, several aspects of high school make it a little less enjoyable. For example, the senseless competition between students? No matter where you go, it exists. A lot of it is directly derived from the competitive nature of college admissions. That, I will not miss one bit.

Senior year is not all that it's chalked up to be. First, you're probably taking your most rigorous course load yet. Okay, fair enough. Then, add college applications on top of that. Not so fun anymore! Then, you've probably risen to a leadership position or are more involved in your extracurriculars. Not to mention, colleges see your midyear grades? Where do all the normal teenage shenanigans fit in?! I really don't know either.

So to all my fellow seniors in our last days of high school — that is all over. It's time to treasure these days, but don't let that keep you from celebrating the end that is in sight. You've worked so hard, and now is the time to enjoy it.