11 Screen To Stage Adaptations Hopefully On The Way

Screen to stage.

79
Summit Entertainment

Over recent years, the world of theatre has seen many films take the leap from screen to stage. From popular staged adaptions such as "Heathers," "Waitress," and "Hairspray," to less favored like "The Wedding Singer" and "Carrie," there is an obvious audience for film-to-stage transitions. Below is a list of films that could move from a movie theatre to a Broadway theatre with ease, and could hopefully be the next film adaption to grace to stage.

1. "Sing Street" (2017)

A film revolving around a young, Irish rock band in the 1980's, "Sing Street" could seamlessly adapt to the stage. The band's original songs and the heavy '80s musical influences would make for a wonderful musical filled with a nostalgic sound and heartfelt story.

2. "O Brother Where Art Thou?" (2000)

The film "O Brother Where Art Thou?" is a loosely based adaption of Homer's "The Odyssey" set in the Dust Bowl era. The protagonists, a chain-gang on the lam, create hilarious predicaments for themselves while on the hunt for buried treasure. The wonderfully crafted characters alone would make this film a great play or musical adaption.

3. "Burlesque" (2010)

Fans of the 2010, musical movie have often called for a stage adaption of the film. Starring Christina Aguilera and Cher, this movie has stunning choreographed dances and songs that would lend themselves beautifully to the stage.

4. "Brooklyn" (2015)

A beautiful story of home and heritage, "Brooklyn" tells the story of a young woman's trek from Ireland to Brooklyn. This story is wrought with conflict and romance, making it an outstanding candidate for a play adaption.

5. "The Road to El Dorado" (2000)

With the recent stage adaptions of the animated films "Frozen" and "Anastasia," who's to say other animated features can't make the leap? The 2000 animated comedy, which follows two con-men on their search for the City of Gold, could be the next successful cartoon to transition from the screen.

6. "10 Things I Hate About You" (1999)

After the popular adaptions of teen films such as "Mean Girls" and "Legally Blonde," "10 Things I Hate About You" could be the next in a long line of successful rom-coms to grace the stage. An adaption of Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew," this film is a perfect choice, complete with stellar '90s vibes.

7. "The Others" (2001)

In recent years, the world of theatre has seen more and more adaptations of horror movies come to the stage. A possibility for the next horror hit could be "The Others." The 2001 film stars Nicole Kidman and tells the story of a widow and her two children facing unseen forces that have invaded their home. With a little bit of theatre magic, "The Others" could be the next ghost story to take Broadway by storm.

8. "La La Land" (2016)

This film is an obvious choice for the next hit musical adaption. 2016's "La La Land" is complete with a beautiful story and a complete score by composers Pasek and Paul, making it a no-brainer when it comes to stage adaptions.

9. "Me, Earl and the Dying Girl" (2015)

One of the quirkier titles on this list, "Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl" would make a fantastic staged adaption. The film tells the story of two boys making a film for a fellow student who is diagnosed with cancer. Though the premise does not sound very uplifting, this film would offer a hilarious and heartwarming transition to the stage.

10. "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" (1962)

A film showcasing the famous feud between Betty Davis and Joan Crawford, "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" tells the story of sibling rivalry to its extreme. It would make a riveting play adaption as it explores the depths of the human condition and family relationships.

11. "The Royal Tenenbaums" (2001)

The final selection on this list is a plea for Wes Anderson to take the leap from screen to stage. He has crafted many beautiful films that would transfer well to the stage, an obvious choice being "The Royal Tenenbaums." A tale of family dynamics, this film would be a riveting story to watch unfold on the stage.

Overall, film to stage adaptions continue to be increasingly popular. It is a trend that will continue well into the future, and any of these selections could be the next to make the transition to the stage.