21 Things I Learned From Mr. Scofield

21 Things I Learned From Mr. Scofield

"To Be or Not to Be" isn't the only question you'll be asking.

95
21 Things I Learned From Mr. Scofield
Stephanie Shirk

"Jim Scofield" is the iconic answer to any phone call received in room D217. If you've ever had Mr. Scofield in class, you know of his dry sense of humor, his straight-to-the-point teaching style, and how his class was just a taste of what college classes are truly like. He teaches so much more than just English and the history of the subject, though. Here are 21 things that I learned from my 12th grade English teacher, and that you should know, regardless of what grade or year or semester you're in.

1. Make Everything Important

Yes, this may seem overwhelming. Even when you're answering the phone, be sure to remind everyone that you, "need to take this call because it might be the president", and be sure to answer with dignity. Also, never ever forget to do your homework. The clipboard of shame will get around to you eventually, and then your heart feels a little pang of shame that seems to say, "you literally have this routine every day yet you just forgot about it?!".

2. Do. Not. Cry.

English is not worth crying over. Misunderstanding something can be avoided by simply raising your hand like you have been since kindergarten and asking a question. I learned that the hard way. His work and class isn't half of what it used to be and is very fair for a high school senior. Be thankful that you're getting this opportunity now.

3. Beowulf

Grendel and Beowulf neverever go away in Academic English with Scofield. These characters appear on the very first test and the very last one, so don't you dare forget them. Ever.

4. NEVER EVER CHEAT

Point blank: you cheat in college, you get kicked out. Don't make a habit of it now. And even if he can't see you, he always knows if you try.

5. Studying Is Key

" If you want to put on a stellar performance, you better rehearse." Shakespeare's "To Be Or Not To Be" is not simply learned overnight. If you truly study this iconic soliloquy, you'll never forget it. And only the most serious of students make their recitation memorable.

6. College Is Hard

Indeed. You are not going to be spoon fed in college, plain and simple. Some professors are going to be harsh, some are not going to be very understandable, and most will expect you to show up for class every. single. day.

Mr. Scofield, you weren't lying.

6A. Don't Fall Behind

If you miss a day of Mr. Scofield's class, it is just like when you miss a college class. You have to TALK to your professor. Emailing him/her in advance is the smartest thing to do, explaining the circumstance, and then ask politely what you will be missing so you know what is going on in class the next day. Otherwise, you're going to be lost. Also, always take Big Green home, just in case.

7. Don't Be Lazy

Exhibit A shown in the last point. Do not slack off. Whether you got an A or a C on your research paper, you got the grade that you earned. Picking favorites is natural. Just because you're not a favorite doesn't mean you shouldn't work hard. You don't get into the Cuthbert society easily. Understand that your college professors are not going to baby you and neither is Mr. Scofield. If you don't do your work, that is your own fault, and no one else's.

8. Support Those You Teach. Forever.

I've never met a teacher who allows past students to bring in pennants from their college, sign them, and hang them up in his room. Nor have I ever met a teacher who puts on a smile for any past student who comes to visit him after they've graduated. Anyone who reaches out to you after they are no longer close by is worth smiling for and talking to.

9. Always Give Back

Story time in his class often brought tears to my eyes as he told us about children who called him "Uncle" while he was visiting on mission trips. He would tell us phenomenally heart-warming/-breaking stories about young children in third-world countries who played with a deflated balloon on a string as a toy, and who are so grateful for what little they have. If that doesn't inspire you to help those who are less fortunate than you are, I don't know what will.

10. Learn Where You Came From

Embrace it. Mr. Scofield does not take his royal heritage lightly.

11. Never Let Them See You Sweat

Like I said, never step down from a challenge. Just take the challenge piece by piece and know that semesters always end and GPAs are forever. Do your best, apply yourself, and that's all Mr. Scofield can ask of you.

12. Never Stop Singing

Never stop doing what you love. Even if your day job hands you a craptastic day, never underestimate the power of singing at the top of your lungs on your way home. Or on your way to Big Band rehearsal where you sing like Sinatra. Whichever comes first.

13. Class Doesn't Always Have To Be Serious

I always left that class having laughed at least once. Always be sure to know who you can and can't joke around with or poke fun at. However, you should ALWAYS take EVERY class seriously, even if it's for an "easy A".

14. Take Pride In Your Education

Regardless of what high school or college you attend, always be sure that you learn the most you can, leave with many resources, and take advantage of every opportunity. Remember that you are a representation of your alma mater forever. You can even be so proud that you have a picture of a College of William and Mary's academic building hanging in your classroom.

15. Learn a Vast Vocabulary

Do you know the meaning of consummate, accost, and belabor? I do. While learning 120 vocab words in one semester seems intimidating (and is), take it seriously, and you'll actually impress people later on in life.

16. Your Phone Is Your Friend

You didn't think I'd make this list without using a little of that Scofield sarcasm, did you?? Honestly, put your phone away. Not just during class, but in general. You don't constantly need to be Snapchatting people or checking Facebook. If someone calls you, your phone will ring; if you get a text, you'll hear a ding; and if something happens, you'll get a notification. You don't have to look at them right away. Take a minute to enjoy your surroundings and you might learn something. (ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE IN A CLASSROOM!)

17. Playing Cards Have Many Purposes

Honestly, you can pass them out and almost never have the same partner twice! They're good for assigning homework questions, picking groups and partners, and assigning who goes first during presentations.

18. English Is Awesome

No argument. You better be able to tell me about the Anglo-Saxons and how they contribute to the language that we all know and love at the end of the semester

19. Teachers Can Be Cool

Very cool. Did I mention that he has a side-gig as Sinatra?? He also has a Twitter and brags about his students more than anything on it.

20. Family Is Everything

Take pride in what your children accomplish, text your wife back, and never forget the moments you make with any of them.

Regardless of if you've already had him or are going to in the future, be sure to take this as a reminder or warning or life line or whatever you want to call it for underclassmen and fellow graduates alike. Thank you for everything, Mr. Scofield!