A Scifi Amateur's Review of "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2"

Came to see Chris Pratt's abs, stayed because of Baby Groot.

31
flickr

I definitely wouldn't consider myself a scifi movie fenatic-- usually I just become too confused and always ask the person next to me what's going on. I love movies with a fantastical element and lots of action (boring oscar dramas are a no on my end) but I need to know what's going on! I'm a big fan of Star Trek and I loved Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1, but I was a little skeptical about Vol 2. I'm notorious for hating sequels, and I heard that it didn't get as good of reviews as the first one. But I absolutely adored it! So if you're a scifi amateur like me but want something fun, easy to follow but with lots of action and spacey goodness, this movie is for you. Even if you don't like the movie, you can still appreciate Chris Pratt's bod for an hour or two.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 follows the squad from the first movie (Peter, Glamora, Drax, Rocket and Baby Groot) as they continue to protect the galaxy and travel throughout the cosmos. Theres definitely some tension at the beginning of the movie, Rocket and Peter gave some spats and it seems like petty squabbles within the group is preventing them from reaching their true fighting potential.

The movie centers around Peter's parents, specifically his father. Old villains and friends from the previous movie make an appearance and even play a greater role in Vol 2. The guardians have to learn to work together and put their true family first-- or else the universe will be destroyed by an evil villain lurking in the shadows.

That was the lamest synopsis ever but you get the point.

I loved so many aspects of this movie and I won't go into detail because of spoilers, but this movie was amazing on so many levels. First of all, the music was phenomenal. I loved the mixing of 80s music with battle scenes. Baby Groot sets the stage in the very first scene by having a dance party while all the other guardians are fighting an alien monster in the background and it was just SO ADORABLE. I was pretty much laughing non-stop throughout the movie too. If you're one of those people who gets kind of fed up with over-dramatic movies, "Guardians" won't disappoint. Half the time it was making fun of its own movie and it was hilarious. The cinematography and special effects were phenomenal, and you get to see so many new alien worlds and people. There's a lot of switching of sides in this movie too-- sometimes the bad guys aren't really the bad guys, and there are so many twists you'll never see coming.

Some of the dialogue was a little cringy, and I'll always prefer the chubby Chris Pratt from Parks and Recreation, but all and all this is a super fun movie with a lot of heart. The humor is spot on and the family dynamic really shines. All and all a five star rating, and a great way to kick off the summer!!