6 Scientific Ways To Study Smarter

6 Scientific Ways To Study Smarter

Quick tips for a better study sesh.

159
6 Scientific Ways To Study Smarter
her campus

Heads up, my fellow UC students, finals are on the horizon.

It's time to batten down the hatches, put on your thinking helmets, and get down to business. But before you throw yourself into the fray, take a few moments to plan your attack. If you've partaken in some procrastination this quarter, you might feel overwhelmed, and tempted to just fling yourself into your work without any real system. This might work for cramming for quizzes, but with finals, it is probably a good idea to settle down and give yourself a solid set of objectives.

So, here are 5 tips and tricks to get that GPA right where you want it. With the help of science, we can get through this together!

1. Stop trying to multitask!

This one might be obvious, but I'll say it as many times as it takes. You might think you're killing the study game, when you are actually just wasting your time on SnapChat. A few university studies have shown that trying to multitask while studying results in poor memorization. So turn that phone off, and get out your notebook.

2. Exercise before studying.

Studies have shown that just an hour of aerobic exercise can improve brain processing speed. It also acts as a great de-stresser, and gets those endorphins pumping. A quick jog around the block or a thirty minute yoga sesh, whatever works to get you sweating before you study.

3. Switch up the material.

Study a bunch of different material in one sitting. This keeps you from falling into a slump, or getting too bored. It also lets you think strategically. For example, if you're doing math, don't just do a bunch of division problems in a row. Switch from division to multiplication to addition and subtraction, this way you have to actively think about the best way to solve the problem.

4. Quiz yourself.

It is all too easy to convince yourself you know the material without really putting yourself to the test. Taking quizzes makes you test how fast your recall is, and can do a lot to improve your confidence, and show you what you need to spend more time with.

5. Change up the scenery.

Studying in different locations wakes up your brain. Every time you move around, it forces your brain to make new connections with the material, and helps improve retention . An added benefit is that the repetition and redundancy of long-term studying is broken up by a quick change of location. So don't feel bad about bailing on your usual coffee-shop spot!

6. Take a few moments to collect yourself.

Most importantly, don't let yourself get caught up in a tornado of stress. Take a few breaths, do a quick stretch, or have a little break. Freaking out and cramming won't help you remember any better than not studying at all.

Now, go forth and conquer!