Deep Talks

allow time inĀ  your schedule for deep talks

Sometimes you need to hear your thoughts out loud to really make sense of them.

30
Izzy Reilly

As someone who struggles to be vulnerable and discuss my emotions, I don't sit down to vent with others as often as I know I should. When I do engage in what many refer to as "deep talks," I tend to feel better.

We all seem to praise the "deep talk," but we don't often enough take part in stimulating and therapeutic conversations with others.

Part of the blame is to be placed on technology.

It is easier to talk over text than face-to-face and immediate responses are satisfying and easy. We paint our lives out how we want others to view them instead of being honest. We focus too much on convenience and too little on meaningful connections.

Then, we complain about our struggles to form meaningful connections. If we added up all the time we spent picking up our phones and scrolling through social media, we would have enough time to spend some time with those we hold dearest to our hearts and have some heart-to-hearts.

But sometimes, our best conversations, the ones that benefit our souls the most, occur completely unprovoked.

The circumstances in which they happen cannot always be forced or fabricated.

Late night talks prove this point. Nothing beats chatting with a best friend at 2 a.m., pondering some of life's deepest questions. We become temporary philosophers for an hour or two, thinking about topics we would never consider during the light of day.

Something about the darkness and lack of sleep makes opening up seem a bit less daunting. And I'm sure we're all aware that opening up can benefit us emotionally, as we tend to feel less alone.

For me, venting to others isn't so much about receiving advice as it is hashing out my thoughts out loud, piecing together what anxiously swirls through my head when I have downtime.

Parked cars foster an environment for deep talks to flourish as well. Although some situations seem more comfortable for letting others in, we need to take notice of how often we open up.

If you don't open up enough, you may start to slowly feel yourself going crazy, simply for the fact that no one else knows what's going on in your head. Sometimes you need to hear your thoughts out loud to really make sense of them.

So how do we decide how to properly open up?

To begin with, we must distinguish who we can talk to.

I've been a culprit of having some deep talks with people I later decided I couldn't trust simply because it seemed right and moreover because once you start talking philosophically it's hard to stop until a natural end to the conversation comes around.

Trusted friends who actively listen, and who have proven their loyalty surely fit the qualifications. Not only does it help you to talk, it helps them to listen. When others unveil themselves to us, we feel important and valued.

Next, we can distinguish what to share.

Personally, I like to get off my chest what has been bothering me most. Talking about the things that make me anxious lead me to the source of my qualms. Try to keep the language as positive as possible while still assessing and accepting the negative.

Remember, your emotions are valid, so don't apologize for having them. Let yourself speak. Ask your deep questions. Come up with deep answers. Stimulate your brain and promote your emotional health.

How much do we share? However much we are comfortable sharing. But push your boundaries a little bit, if it seems uncomfortable to start, it may quickly become healing once you begin.

That being said, you own what has happened to you. You have the right to withhold the details, and no one has the right to pry anything out of you.

Stop settling for shallow discussions over text. Even phone calls, that are one step up, don't fully recreate the feelings that arise from a face-to-face conversation.

Make the time for healthy practices like venting to optimize your self-care regimen.