"Scars To Your Beautiful"

"Scars To Your Beautiful"

This hit song has some powerful body-image lessons.

1345
"Scars To Your Beautiful"
Marilyn Monroe

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've heard the song "Scars To Your Beautiful" by the talented Alessia Cara.

This song is an ANTHEM. The first time I heard it, I was blown away. It hits the heart and soul. The lyrics speak to self-love and developing a better self-image. It goes on to cover heavy topics such as battling an eating disorder, self-harm and comparison to others.

"She just wants to be beautiful
She goes unnoticed, she knows no limits,
She craves attention, she praises an image..."

It is a true work of art. It makes you sit back and think about the ways that you've been treating yourself. You may even ask some questions internally. When I look in the mirror, do I critique the reflection that stares back at me? Do I compare myself to the way others look, act or dress? When was the last time I spoke negatively in regards to my own appearance?

"...she prays to be sculpted by the sculptor
Oh she don't see the light that's shining
Deeper than the eyes can find it
Maybe we have made her blind
So she tries to cover up her pain, and cut her woes away
'Cause covergirls don't cry after their face is made."

Us girls can be super hard on ourselves and the way we look. We make frequent comments such as "I look gross" when talking about our appearance. I know I have done this too many times to count. Then when we go through old photos, we critique our present-day selves even further. We feel bad about the weight we might've gained in college. Maybe we don't like how our hair looks. Over and over we feed ourselves this negativity. And that's common because, unfortunately, as women, we face a lot. We flip through magazines glancing at the airbrushed and photoshopped models featured. It can be disheartening to realize the unrealistic standards of body image we experience on a daily basis. We often feel expectations to look a certain way due to societal norms. However, thanks to the message in this song, we need to be reminded of a few things.

"But there's a hope that's waiting for you in the dark
You should know you're beautiful just the way you are
And you don't have to change a thing
The world could change its heart
No scars to your beautiful, we're stars and we're beautiful."

We ARE all beautiful, no matter what our culture, peers or even our inner voice says. We are created to be our own, unique individuals. Wear the clothes that make you happy. Dye your hear if you want to. If you feel the most beautiful in makeup, wear it! If you feel like your best self without it, rock a natural look. At the end of the day, YOU have to be the one in control. Don't let your insecurities or doubts get in the way of being unapologetically, completely, authentically Y-O-U.

Shout the concluding lyrics if you have to build up your confidence.

"No better you than the you that you are
(no better you than the you that you are)
No better life than the life we're living
(no better life than the life we're living)
No better time for your shine, you're a star
(no better time for your shine, you're a star)
Oh, you're beautiful, oh, you're beautiful."

Keep on shinin'!