If You Want To Feel Dead Inside, Go Watch "Infinity War"

The MCU has succeeded once again in making their fans neurotic.

49
Nathan Anderson

Spoiler warning for Marvel’s "Avengers: Infinity War", and practically every marvel movie and show.

This is it- so unless you’ve seen Infinity war or are okay with spoilers.

Alright?

#Thanosdemandsyoursilence

In the span of the film, half of the Marvel cinematic universe dies at the hands of Thanos- or rather, hand of Thanos.

The only two who died unrelated to the snap-death were Loki and Gamora. Now, before I start sobbing and ranting about Loki’s character development and how utterly brilliant Tom Hiddleston’s acting was- let’s just move on to the point.

When the camera focuses on Thor cradling Loki’s body, some more eagle-eyed (or rather Hawk-eyed ) fans noted that Loki doesn’t revert back to his jotun form which he did do in "Thor: The Dark World" (2013). In that scenario, Loki wanted to trick Thor that he was dead.

Also in that scenario, Loki pretended to die after killing Kurse after saving Thor. It’s more or less the same exact thing- Loki ‘died’ saving Thor. I would argue the difference is that Loki knew what would inspire Thor to defeat Thanos. Loki knows Thor better than he knows himself. Loki knows without a doubt that if Thor were to see his brother dying trying to save him then it would strengthen Thor’s resolve.

Going off the rest of the movie, if this is what Loki planned, then he was 100% right.

This is also the third time Loki would have faked his death so, this is just the kind of thing he does. Not to mention, Tom Hiddleston- the gift he is- is contracted for a few more films.

So, no. I don’t think Loki is actually dead- especially considering one of the last things Loki says

“I assure you, brother. The sun will shine on us again.”

Though, there’s another piece of evidence which convinces me that Loki isn’t actually dead.

He is one of the smartest characters in the Marvel Cinematic universe- he’s a schemer, a trickster and he knows how strong Thanos is.

There’s no way in hell he would have actually thought he was strong enough to kill Thanos, especially not when Thor couldn’t do it. Loki is always planning, controlling for every variable.

He definitely faked his death.

Gamora, daughter of Thanos, was the only other character to die outside the death-snap thing. There’s a pretty simple reason why I don’t think she’s dead and that is she and Peter just admitted to being in love with each other. There’s definitely going to be more "Guardians of the Galaxy" movies – I think the third one has been confirmed. So yes, they can’t kill her because they can’t just kill off the single adult mature character on the guardians.

There’s a more complicated reason I don’t think she’s dead, too. If I understood the film correctly, for Thanos to get the soul gem he had to sacrifice something he loved. Gamora was the sacrifice as she was the only thing he loved.

Later on, when Thanos killed half the universe he has to interact with a manifestation of the gem in the form of Gamora as a child. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next film, Gamora ends up being like an avatar of the soul gem and ends up super-powered and fine.

They’re both fine- they have to be otherwise I’m going to be paying thousands in therapy bills.