Saying Goodbye To Sophomore Year

Saying Goodbye To Sophomore Year

We're halfway there.

8
Saying Goodbye To Sophomore Year
Maddie Hamzy

It’s that time of year again; Summer is officially upon us and I have no idea how it got here so fast. This year has been nothing short of magic, and I don’t know if I’m ready to say goodbye to it. So here’s a farewell to sophomore year, and all of the beautiful friends and memories that have joined me along the way on this journey.

Dear Sophomore Year,

It might be too late to ask, but maybe you can tell your upperclass friends to slow the hell down. This year went by far too fast for my liking, so junior and senior year ... please take notes. While I am at my wit's end with final papers and exams, I am still utterly grateful for all the good times that came before this dreadful week. Thank you for my friends, the friends who were there from the beginning and the friends I didn’t know I was going to make. Thank you for introducing me to my future bridesmaids; the women of suite 212 and 213 (including Yadira) hold a very special place in my heart. Thank you for late-night ice cream runs and obnoxiously loud dance parties. Thank you most of all for being my impromptu therapists, personal stylists, and best friends. You four have completely stolen my heart.

Don’t think the thank yous are over yet. There are many more coming your way. Sophomore year has made me eternally grateful for the education I am receiving at Saint Mary’s. Fall semester of this year, I took a creative writing class to fulfill an art requirement and found myself reunited with a long lost love: the written word. With a kooky cat lady for a professor and a class full of talented writers, the writer that has always been inside me had its chance to truly blossom. Thank you for unleashing something inside me that was waiting to be freed. But most of all, thank you for pushing me outside my comfort zone, and thank you for introducing me to the wonderful world of feminist theory. When I registered for this class, I knew I was in for something spectacular but also something incredibly challenging. Thank you for exceeding all my expectations. Feminist theory began as an hour-and-a-half time slot during which I felt intimidated by all of the genius women (and man) in my class, but it slowly but surely transformed into a space of pure brilliance and feminist power. Through this class I have developed intense crushes on all of the fem theory babes. Thank you for challenging me, supporting me, and letting me call you my new friends. A million times, thank you.

This year was full of many lasts––my last time living in the dorms, my last time rooming with my dearest Anna, my last time I’ll have a meal plan or have to wear shower sandals. Some of these won’t be missed, but, boy oh boy, I am having a hard time letting go. This coming week, I sign and pay for my very first apartment––doing big girl things. I’m leaving behind the dorm life and hiking up the hill to the Agenos. I am closing this chapter of college, but I’ll be sure to take all the memories with me.

Sophomore year, you have been nothing but good to me.

All my love,

Maddie