need to go out

When Battling Depression, The Need To Say 'Yes' Becomes Just As Important As Saying 'No'

It's OK to say "no," but make sure you are still saying "yes."

159
Constance Woodard

We've all seen the activist and inspirational posts of everyone saying how important it is just to say "no." When you are spreading yourself too thin and need that tie-away from everyone it is good to say no, and I am all for that campaign. But there also comes a time when you need to be able to say "yes" to some of those invites.

As someone who actively battles depression every waking day, I know how easy it can be to just get stuck in your own rut and never want to have human interaction again. But honey the Winter Blues is in full effect and you need to get out more.

Studies have been shown that the amount of sunlight people are getting significantly effects your mood and their mental health. So, of course, it's easier to be affected by seasonal depression in the cold months because you're less likely to get that amount of sunlight that you need to thrive. I mean when it's freezing outside, only crazy people would be sunbathing right?

Seasonal depression can take its form in many ways and effects more and more than 20% of the American population. That's why it is so important for you to get out there and spend more time with people.

Depression can be hard for each and every individual suffering. You never want to get out of bed, you stop doing the things that you once loved, you stop hanging out with those around you in fear of being a burden, there are countless symptoms I could name for days, but my guess if you're reading this, you already know them anyway. It's hard, but it's fightable.

Start saying yes to those lunch dates and to those offers to just come to hang out at the house. I know lying in bed can seem great at the time, but once you actually get out and get hanging, you'll realize how much better you feel. So stop declining every offer that comes your way and take back some control of your life again.

But still remember you have no obligation to say yes to anyone around you, you have no one to please, so if you are going to do it, make sure you are doing it for you!