This Is How I'm Going To Say Goodbye To My Grandmother

What I imagine happening when I go to say my goodbyes to my Lola.

577
Emilio Jamerlan

I step off the plane in the Iloilo airport and I look around. Even though I was born in America, I also always felt at home in the Philippines.

As I look around, I remember my father stepping out into the thick air. Part of his face tells me he resents being back in such a humid climate, but I can tell from his voice and his rush to get our stuff that he is excited to be home.

My mind comes back to reality as I go through customs. As I am grabbing my bags, I wonder what I will talk to Lola about. Maybe I'll tell her about how school is going. I bet she would love hearing about all the things I did this summer. When I see her I'll talk to her in Spanish; she'll get a kick out of that.

I step out into the humid air and look for my Tita Bernie. I see a small Filipino woman waving her arms at me. I feel the corners of my mouth pull upward unintentionally. She hugs me tight and asks me how I have been. I say good and we get into her car to drive to the family house.

When we get to the house, we are met by the mad barking of the family dogs. I make my way to the dining room where I am greeted by the rest of my clansmen.

The familiar sights of the dining room and the memories attached to them begin to flood back to me.

All the afternoon siestas I took on the velvet couch on the right. Every wonderful meal I had with my family here.

After the hugs I go to my room. I drop all my bags to the ground and fall face forward on to my bed and breathe in the scent of the clean sheets. I am shaken awake by my Tita, who informs me that while I slept through dinner, breakfast is ready for me when I come down. I head downstairs and grab a bowl full of arroz caldo. I sit down with my bowl and bring the steaming spoon to my mouth.

As I eat, I look down to the head of the table where Lola used to sit. I rack my brain for memories of Lola outside of the chair, but I can't find them. I wish, no, I should have spent more time with her.

I ask Tita Bernie if I can visit Lola today and she nods, saying that Lola would love it if I visited her. After I am finished with my breakfast, we jump in the car and we arrive outside Lola's new home. Tita Bernie tells me that she has some errands to run, so she'll come and pick me up in a little bit, but I can stay as long as I want.

As she drives off, I start walking to Lola's house. I walk down the street and I look at the other houses until I get to Lola's. I look down at the stone in front of me. My knees give way and the dam behind my eyes breaks, letting loose the large body of water that was building ever since I arrived in the Philippines.

After I properly regain my breath, I look back up to the stone and I say, "Hola, Lola."