How to Save Money on Holiday Shopping
Seasonal

How To Take Control Of Your Holiday Spending

Don't let gift-giving ruin your savings account!

168

Now that Halloween is over and Thanksgiving is quickly approaching, it's time to start thinking about holiday gift giving.

Just like every year before this one, your bank account can take a big hit with travel costs and presents for your friends and family. Nearly three-quarters of Americans say they fail to stick to a budget around the holidays. Last year, the average US family spent $967.13 on holiday gifts.

This year numbers are on track to increase, with financial experts planning for $720.89 billion in total holiday spending across the United States. New marketing and advertising strategies are making it harder than ever to say no, leading more people to fall for impulse buys and overspending.

My challenge this year is to get ahead of the holiday spending trap. Here are a few useful tips to help budget and save money.

1. Set spending limits.

Bankruptcy experts say budgeting is key to saving money efficiently. Setting limits on how much money should go to rent, food, bills, and other expenses helps to keep people on track each paycheck. The same goes for holiday spending! Decide on a set total you're willing to spend, then allocate some of it to each of your holiday expenses. Keep a running list on paper or in a spreadsheet to make sure you don't go over budget, and track your spending (Writing a list also helps to organize who you've already bought gifts for!)

2. Save now, spend later.

Say you set aside $500 total for your budget. After rent and bills, that number may seem overwhelming. But if you start planning ahead, the sticker shock won't affect you come the end of the year. Start saving money where you can now: Maybe make coffee at the office instead of picking one up before work, cut back on eating out, or don't buy those shoes even though they're on sale. Avoiding short-term overspending will help you during the long-run.

3. Go on a "cash diet."

You'd be amazed how much more frugal you are when you only have cash in hand. Pull out your budgeted amount of money in cash before you start your shopping, then only allow yourself to use that money while you buy. Don't even bring your credit and debit cards. Once you see a finite amount of money in front of you, you'll be less inspired to fall victim to impulse buys.

3. Shop at consignment stores.

This one may sound as played out as making homemade gifts (which are still a great option), but hear me out. More and more people are looking for awesome deals nowadays, leading more high-end consignment shops to open up. A lot of them carry the same brands as department stores! Skip the expensive sweater and try to find the same thing at a lower price at stores like Buffalo Exchange and My Sister's Closet.

5. Use shopping apps and browser extensions to help you find the best deals.

Ebates

Nowadays there are more tools than ever to help you save money while shopping online. There are tons of plug-ins and apps that notify you when you're getting a great deal or offer cash back on certain purchases. Some of my favorites are Ebates and Honey, which scans the internet to find coupons and promo codes. On the same note, Groupon can be a huge help if you're shopping for experiences like a massage or wine tasting trip. (Pro-tip: Ebates usually offers 6% cash back on Groupon purchases this time of year. Double-dipping your savings!)

6. Don't shop for yourself.

It's so easy to go shopping for other people and notice something you really want. It's even easier to write it off as a "present" to yourself. But buying things for yourself is a sure-fire way to go over budget. If you see something you like, add it to your own holiday wish list instead.

7. Shop early to avoid last minute shipping charges.

As the holidays grow nearer, online retailers are going to try to squeeze more and more money out of unsuspecting shoppers. Shipping charges and processing fees will increase as the season gets busier. Don't wait until the last minute to make your online purchases, or you'll end up spending unnecessary money to beat the clock.

Don't let financial worry ruin your holiday season. At the end of the day, the holidays are more about spending time with your friends and family. But if you do choose to exchange gifts with those loved ones, use these tips to keep saving money off your New Year's Resolutions.