Save The Hawaiian Monk Seals

Save The Hawaiian Monk Seals

They are the last remaining monk seal species.

21
Save The Hawaiian Monk Seals
mediad.publicbroadcasting.net

Hawaiian Monk Seals are cute sea animals that cleverly got their name due the folds of skin down their neck that resemble a monk’s hood. They are found only off the coasts of the Hawaiian Islands. They spend most of their time in the ocean and will swim nearly a football field’s (or two) length down to feed. They typically grow to the length of 7-7.5 feet long and weight from 375-450lbs. When they are not in the ocean these seals will be found along the shore sun bathing. But the Hawaiian Monk Seals are in danger.

Their numbers have dropped to nearly 1,200 and this number is continuing to decrease. The only other Monk Seal species known as the Caribbean Monk Seal was last seen in 1952 and is considered extinct. It is crucial we try to preserve the Hawaiian Monk Seal so they too do not lead to extinction.

Of course they have their natural prey the shark that continues to decline their numbers. But, there is a threat much greater to their numbers than their natural predators; and this is humans. With sea levels rising due to climate change, the shore lines are slowly declining. The seals need to have room on shore to sun bathe, and help raise their pups. Not to mention almost all of the Hawaii Islands are developed with very little shores to share with the seals. The Hawaiian Monk Seals have nowhere else to go; the Hawaiian waters are their only home. Pollution in the oceans also open the seals up to bacteria and disease.

We, humans, have gotten the world and its creatures into this mess. Now it is our job to help change it. Though I do not live near the ocean I know that what I do still impacts all of life. We are all connected to our land and waters. Take time to recycle, conserve power, and reduce the amount of water you use. Anything you do will help us to get one step closer to saving our planet and the creatures that live here, such as the Hawaiian Monk Seals.

We must be aware and take action.

To help Hawaiian Monk Seals you can visit this website and sign the petition: https://animalpetitions.org/119255/hold-fundraisers-to-save-hawaiian-monk-seal/