How to Save Money on Utilities

3 Tips to Save Money on Utilities in College

If you're a broke college student like me, you're probably looking for any way you can save a little extra money every month. Here are some money-saving tips to keep your utilities bill low.

3

Utilities bills can cost you a fortune if you're not careful. But there are some life-saving ways you can save money on utilities every month so you can have some extra cash for fun weekend festivities!

Go Solar

If you really want to make a dent in your utility bill (or eliminate it altogether) you should try to convince your apartment or housing complex to go solar. This would not only reduce your utility bill, but it would benefit them as well. College students tend to be a lot more environmentally conscious, and many people would love to live in a solar-powered housing complex instead of one that uses standard electricity. It only takes one solar panel to make a difference in your utility bill, so it's definitely worth a shot!

Turn Off Your Heat or Air When You Can

The bulk of your electric bill usually comes from your heating and air conditioning unit. If you have cold or hot air blasting 24/7, you're going to have a pretty hefty bill. Instead, try turning off your A/C unit when the weather is nice out. Open a couple of windows and let nature heat or cool your home instead of spending money on your A/C unit. Also, if you're going home for the holidays or an extended weekend, make sure you turn off your unit! This will save you a ton of money on your monthly bill.

Unplug Electronics When They're Not in Use

Another big chunk of your electric bill comes from your big electronics like your gaming systems, TV, and extension cords with 5 different things plugged in. If you're not going to be using these electronics for a while, make sure you unplug them. Leaving things plugged in still uses electricity, so you can actually save a ton of money by doing this small thing every day or night.