To My Sassy Best Friend

To My Sassy Best Friend

Sometimes sass is needed to survive.

119
To My Sassy Best Friend
Lauren Mary

Coming from one of the most sensitive people I know (me, it's obviously me), you get thrown for a loop when you find out that one of my best friends is one of the most brutally honest people you can find out in the world.

If there is ever a situation you need to be set straight about; she is your girl.

I can't tell you on how many occassions I have needed so much sense slapped into me and whether I wanted her to, which most of the time out of fear I don't, or not she is and has always been there. And then when I don't listen, as most stubborn people don't when they get advice, she's always there to sweep up the pieces and crazy glue them back together.

Looking at myself as a glass vase, I have been broken and glued back together so many times that what was once perfect and pure is nicked to the least of its value, yet no matter how bad the mess up or what a monstrosity I look like this girl refuses to let me fall apart even though she damn well could have for me not believing that she was right.

Sure, sometimes it is a lot more than I can handle for her to be as honest as she is with me, but whether I like it or not it is only for me to better myself as a person. Despite the disagreements we have about things I know this girl would walk through fire to make sure I was safe and happy. That's what her goal is, for everyone to be happy. Sometimes she forgets about herself in the process, which is where I have to step in to remind her that she matters before anyone else. If there is one person I want on the sidelines for all the moments of my life, it's her. She'll be there through the happiness, sadness, loss, new beginnings, and any other thing that the world could throw my way with a smile on her face because no matter what I think I need I really need the optimism to get me through.

Her parents taught her to be this way and along this journey of growing up she has adapted with her own personal experiences if she sees something unfit, and I couldn't thank her parents enough for the beautiful person they've created. She has the strongest will in the most dismal of situations, she makes herself crazy to be successful, and she doesn't take credit for nearly any of it. I don't know if I would be able to say the same for myself if I was in her shoes, but she does it with selflessness in mind at all times.

We hold ourselves to a no secret friendship, but if I'm being honest even if I try to keep a secret about something she already knows about it. I almost feel like she's secretly always around, but I know with school and life schedules that's pretty much impossible. It's scary how she does it, but it makes explaining things take less time being that she's already somehow clued in.

I don't know if I could ever be half the person she is or do half the things she does, but if there is someone I could look up to as a role model it would for sure be her. She taught me how to have thicker skin, not be so closed off to criticism, and that just because I'm not hearing what I want to hear that what I'm hearing isn't going to be good for me.

I'll never have to worry about being talked about behind my back or worrying about whether someone is being two-faced with her as my company because that's not her motive. Her motive is to ensure that you are okay with the things going on in your life and that even though something might seem like a fantastic idea that there could be a chance of you getting hurt. No matter how many times I mess up or choose to ignore her advice she is always still there, and I couldn't be happier to have a more stable thing in my life.

Here's to millions of memories, those we have, and those we have yet to make. To late night coffee runs knowing damn well that even with the caffeine we aren't going to do the homework we set out to do. To the late night drives with middle school throwbacks blasting and the windows down. To one of the best people I know, thank you for always being there and showing me that no matter how much hurt or bad there is in the world that there will always be good as long as you're in my life. Thank you for tolerating my stupidity and loving me, even if when I tell you I love you you say you love yourself for the sake of me screens hotting your messages when you actually do say it back.