Why San Antonio Is The Ultimate College Town

“It’s pronounced NIOSA, not NIOSAR.” –Hermione Granger, pretty sure

145

I have been living in San Antonio for school for a year now. I love my university, and honestly, I couldn’t imagine a place as special as Trinity in any other city. San Antonio has become so close to my heart. This city is a special kind of cool making it the perfect place for college. (Side note: my hometown is nicknamed “Clutch City,” so I think I am able to tell when a place is cool). Here is a list of reasons why San Antonio is the perfect place for college:

1. San Antonio is full of culture.

Remember the Alamo? It’s in San Antonio. It’s no surprise that this city is heavily influenced by Mexican-American culture. It is easy to catch a glimpse of this influence. A prime example is Fiesta San Antonio, which takes place every spring. This is a celebration to honor the memory of the Battle of the Alamo. Fiesta is like a huge party downtown full of food, music and flower crowns. A popular event is a Night in Old San Antonio (NIOSA).

2. There are the benefits of Austin without the Austin cost.

Austin is about a 45-minute to an hour drive from downtown San Antonio. This distance is like a sweet spot for college students. You have the ability to run by Austin for a concert (like Austin City Limits), but you are also far enough from it to avoid the constant traffic or the pressure to "keep Austin weird."

3. There are a number of swimming holes and hiking areas that are perfect for a day trip.

My ideal Saturday includes cafeteria breakfast tacos, a nice hike and then hanging out with my friends at a frat party later that night. If your school is in San Antonio, this is completely possible. San Antonio is a large city that is a short distance from cool swimming holes, campsites and hiking destinations. Some of my favorite places include Enchanted Rock and tubing in New Braunfels.

4. San Antonio is fun as all heck.

The nightlife in San Antonio is fun and casual. Most places are on the less expensive side and have a cool and casual atmosphere. This is the perfect storm for any college student. There is even a thematic pub-run put on the first Friday of every month for people 21 and over.

5. San Antonio is a large city with a small town feel.

San Antonio is in the top 10 largest cities in the United States. This only makes sense because “everything is bigger in Texas.” San Antonio is full of opportunities. That being said, San Antonio does not have the same big city feel that Houston or Dallas has. This city is more spread out causing a small town feel.

6. Tex-Mex is taken very seriously in San Antonio.

You can find good Tex-Mex restaurants all over south Texas, but no other city can compare to San Antonio Tex-Mex. I know I’m obsessing here, but I respect any city where it is acceptable, encouraged even, to eat tacos for every meal.